New Aztec Owner, Turbo 1974 E Model

Hello folks, Wanted to say Howdy. Many of you have provided valuable knowledge and advice, so THANK YOU.

After nearly 9 months looking for an airplane to purchase, I've finally closed today on a plane.
Happy owner of a 1974 PA-23-250 Turbo E model. The previous owner owned the AC for 20 years and took good care of her.

I'm based in Albuquerque, NM. If anyone flys through KABQ or KAEG, drop me a line and we can grab some coffee.

Savvy Aviation helped me out with Pre-Buy Evaluation, and Bode Aviation did the actual pre-buy evaluation work. Yes, they both cost a few $$, but the education I got was well worth it. This bird is the second AC I put thru the entire pre-buy evaluation process. The first was a spectacular failure, but it was still a good educational process. So in my mind the $$ spent on TWO pre-buy's was money well spent. I know a huge amount more about Aztec's in general and this specific bird. That will help me be a safer multi-engine pilot and better pre-flights.

I'm converting the pre-buy in to a formal annual inspection. I hope the AC will be out of the shop by this weekend and that I can go officially fly her as her new person :)

I plan to upgrade the panel, and do some other mods to improve performance and safety. I'm looking forward to flying this plane for many years to come.

I'm sure I will have a pile of stupid questions for the form and hope everyone will go "easy" on me :) I also hope to give back to the group by helping out other Aztec owners...

The biggest bit of advice I can give right now is:
ALWAYS DO A PRE-BUY EVAL WITH A SHOP THAT HASN"T BEEN INVOLVED WITH THE TARGET AIRCRAFT!!

Hope to see some of you around at fly-ins and such.

Blue Skys

John

Comments

• Congrats john! Nice job :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Congrats!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited April 2021

So glad you walked away from that first plane. :#
    Congrats on your new bird and thank you for updating us!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Yeah!! Savvy and Bode were a big help in making that firm decision. I did learn a bunch from it.