My Arrow is starting to irritate me!

The sucker is nickle-and-diming me to no end. Last week, the cooling fan on my two and a half year old Garmin GNC255 decided to quit working. Local shop installed new fan, and that problem went away.Two days ago, I noticed a blue stain and a small puddle on the hangar floor under the left wing. Mechanic says it's seeping fuel out of a sending unit...Geez, what next???

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• edited April 2021

Hi Harley, I've blown two alternators in one week. The first one was 11 years old, great life. The second one lasted one hour of flight time. I have a third one coming Monday. Let's head to a bar and I'll buy you a drink. I feel your pain.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Let's wait until Airventure, so I can crawl to the tent if I have one too many!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Sounds like a plan!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Mechanics pulled the fuel tank on left wing. The fuel is leaking out of one of the sending units, right in the center of it where the terminal for the wire attaches. I guess those 42 year old seals gave up the ghost. Hopefully, new sending unit will be here on Monday...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Excellent. Be on the lookout for the other tank doing that same thing...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• And, to make it even better, there are two sending units on each tank...:(

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I hope mine are OK. I just painted those tank screws :o

• edited May 2021

And Harley, two weeks ago ,my alternator failed. It had been in the plane for 11 years so i guess that's okay. My mechanic ordered a new one from Aircraft Spruce and they got it from Plane Power by Hartzell. It failed after two hours of flight time. They got another one from Plane Power and that failed on first takeoff. I had a third one installed yesterday and will test fly it tomorrow. I've concluded that Plane Power / Hartzell has a very serious quality and testing problem...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited May 2021
    Infant mortality can be frustrating but that's ridiculous.

I went thru a couple of Chrysler-style factory alternators a while ago. Finally got fed up and rebuilt the most recent one myself (there's not much to them), then added a solid state regulator and solid state over-voltage relay. I have over 400 hrs on it now with zero issues.

The Plane Power alternator was a little lighter, but I favored reliability over a few lbs.

Scott; have you found out what failed on the (2) most recent PP alternators, and are they covered by warranty? They better be.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited May 2021

They are on my shops credit card so I'm not worried as the shop purchased them. However, I will have to pay for all of that labor. It's not my shops fault. On the first replacement, the springs and brushes were faulty. On the second, the diodes failed.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott:

Sorry to hear what you're going through, and that you're having to eat the labor charges. I agree that it's an apparent QC issue.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Scott, you might have some relief if you contact the alternator manufacturer directly, and inquire about the labor to install and remove their defective products. They may have a policy not publicized to take care of this expense. It may actually be part of the warranty documentation. Worth a try.
  • Scott, that is horrible! Doesn't speak well for the product they are selling.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Thanks fellows. I have to take the plane up today and see if it's okay...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Never ever ask “What’s next?” They can hear you and take it as a challenge, like looking a wolf in the eyes.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.