Memorial Day

Let us pause and remember those who have served in uniform in the name of peace and freedom. In the Piper Owner Society we have numerous members who have served this cause in uniform with respect and honor.
Take time to reflect, say a prayer and give thanks.

And, of course, light up the grill and have a hundred dollar burger.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Amen Scott

• Roger that, Joe. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott, and thank you to the men and women who sacrificed all of their tomorrows so we could enjoy today. My deepest respect.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• My Dad, a WWII army vet, use to say that his was the greatest generation and that ours is the luckiest generation.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott:

Thank you to your dad and all the others who served. I had an uncle who landed at Normandy and also served in the battle of the bulge in the Ardennes forest. Hard to argue with your father's logic. RIP to all of them and thank you again.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Roger that, Griff!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• My dad was a B-17 pilot in WWII, flying out of Bassingboure, England. One of my uncles flew Corsairs off the USS Intrepid. Both of those guys had BIG BALLS, as did everyone else who fought.

When I got my pilot's license, I'd always ask my dad if he wanted to go flying. He always said "no". One day, it got to me and I asked him, "Every time I ask you to go fly with me, you always say no. Are you afraid to fly with me?" He said, "No, it's not that. I know you're a good pilot. But, you view an airplane as fun, you enjoy the feeling of flying an aircraft. I used to enjoy doing that too, but now I view an airplane as something I used to kill people with."

My mom showed me a letter my dad had written her. In it, he wrote, "I'm tired of war, tired of killing, tired of seeing my friends die. I just want to come home, saddle up my horse, and take care of my cattle." After the war, that's just what he did. He never flew again.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Harley;

Major respect to all those like your dad, they defined tough. They took off from carriers or fields, flew hundreds of miles on bombing runs or engaged in vicious dogfights, flew the crippled plane back to base or the carrier (which might be 100 miles from where they took off), with nothing more than rudimentary instruments and a watch. We have people today flying with DME, VOR's, and GPS's with moving maps, and still get lost.

My uncle (he passed 30+ years ago) never talked much about his service either, except I remember one time he opened up when I was about 8-9 years old. That's a story for another time. Maybe at OSH over a good single malt or 2, and we'll toast all of them.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Ok Jim, OSH it is.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yesterday was a solemn day of remembrance, we owe a debt of gratitude to our parents' generation. I too had many relatives that served in WW1 & WW2. My grandfather fought in Europe during WW1. My father was a lucky belly turret gunner in a B-17, an uncle in the infantry at the battle of the bulge, an aunt was a WAC in Eisenhower's staff in England & Europe, and a father-in-law in Patton's 3rd Army. They are all gone now. When asked about it, they vehemently refused to discuss it...The destruction they seen impacted them for life.

I wish I could attend OSH to share in the toast...

• We have a dinner scheduled on the first Monday evening at OSH this year. Can you make it? I live in Milwaukee and drive up every day. You could fly into my airport, KRAC. I have hangar space for you and you could come up with me.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott...thank you for the offer, it is very kind...I cannot commit at this time, but may accept as time and schedules firm later...What time do you leave in the morning?

• Hi,
    I usually leave around 7:00 am or so and it takes an hour to drive up. I'm not there everyday but 3 or 4 times during the week. I will be there on the first Monday for the dinner.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, thanks...I'm about 2.5 hr flight to KRAC...I'll let you know as time gets closer...

• Okay, sounds good. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Misplaced how to make reservations for Monday’s night dinner at Le Seure! Help!!!

• Hi, no worries, I just sent you the info via direct message.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!