Cherokee 180 Spinner - Would you fly with this?

My 1966 Cherokee 180 is in annual and my mechanic is a little puzzled by the condition of the screw holes on my spinner. I've attached some pic of them, but am wondering if these are really an issue. I' m having no luck finding this particular spinner # 63760-04. I've contacted a dozen salvage yards with no luck. I can find the 65805-00 and 63760-03, but they are not for my serial number range. I haven't tried TCB composite yet or spoken to Knots2U. It's unknow as to how long these have been this way. I've owned the plane for 8 months. So, are these an issue, can they be fixed, would you fly with them this way, what about using countersink washers? Any thoughts??

Comments

• I'm thinking that you're asking good questions. Can I add more? Sorry. First, how old is this spinner and second, how old is the prop attached to it (and how many hours and when was last overhaul). Finally, is a prop overhaul shop the right place to go with this question?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi,

What is your serial number? From the looks of it the spinner has flown this way for many years but if your shop will not sign off on it I would not argue. A spinner failure in flight would be very serious.

From the TCDS it looks like it would be 63760-04 or 65805-00 that would be acceptable. There is also a note you can fly without for a wide range of serial numbers.

I would contact TCB direct:

FYI: For those with planes with metal spinners this company fixes them:

https://www.spinner-repairs.com/spinner_repairs.html

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thank you both for the responses. I do not know how old the spinner is, it could be original. The prop has been inspected but since the plane is in annual I don't have the records with me to check right know. My serial number is 28-3408 which according to my parts manual uses the 63760-04 spinner. The manual shows the 65805-00 spinner is for serial #28-3586 to 28-4377. If this could work, I would think the back and front bulkheads would need to be changed to fit this spinner. I think you're right about the length of time the spinner has been like this. Makes me wonder about all of the annuals that have passed it or didn't notice it.
    Thanks guys!

• edited June 2021

The TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet) would the be the authority here over the parts manual and for serial 28-3408 either 63760-04 or 65805-00 is legal. Valid serial numbers 28-1761 to 28-5859. You can also fly with it removed per Note 11.
    I would discuss with TCB composite as well as the metal spinner repair place as well. They may have approvals for fiberglass too.

This is the most current Rev 62 (Nov 2020) of the 2A13 TCDS covering the PA28-180 (and others) from the FAA website
    https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/5ef92b982a0811ad862586380047f882/$FILE/2A13_R62.pdf

and it also shows the same range of valid part numbers to what I posted previously. If it is called out in the TCDS it is a legal part. Per note 11, you could also fly it without the spinner while waiting for a new or repaired one. You should show it to your mechanic.

Let us know how it works out.

Everyone should review the TCDS for their plane. I would be surprised if you did not learn something. It can be searched on the FAA website from this site:
    https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameset

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)