Wasp Nest

I need a suggestion. Looks like I now have a wasp nest in the tail of my Arrow. I was at the plane yesterday to mess around with a few things and saw a few wasps coming out of the tail. Can I just spray wasp spray in there to kill them off or will that cause any kind of damage/corrosion to the aluminum.

And can anyone suggest some type of cover or plug for that slat that moves the stabilator? The only thing I am seeing is an engine plug that you cut yourself. I am open to suggestions if anyone has devised a cover for that slat or is everyone just leaving it open?

Andy Sikora
1972 PA28R-200
X51
Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

Comments

• Hi Andy,
    Yes, you can spray in there and when the problem is solved, vacuum the next out and clean the area with a good cleaner. Then get a piece of foam rubber with a long red ribbon on it and shove it in there.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott! Always helpful!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• After you have wiped them out and cleaned up the area rinse it down with water. I always estimate 10 percent of the wasps are on a cross country and coming back for you when the can is empty. With boats it helps to wipe them out and then move the boat... For marine canvas and sails I pre-spray them and it has not made the sails any worse but it does seem to deter the wasps.

I had a hornet trap up near a friends boat and collected 4 inches of them by end of season.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hi Eric,
    Thanks for your comments. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!