Engine Monitor Oil Temp vs. Ships Oil Temp Guages

Hi All!
Hope everyone is having a great summer!
Quick PA-34 question…
There is a 40-50 degree temp difference in the indicated oil temp from the Insight G4 Twin and the Piper Seneca’s ship gauges.
The ships gauges are saying 180 and the Insight is saying 130 to 140-ish…

• Which one should I believe?
  • Are the temp probes co-located or are the probe pickups in different locations?
  • Any additional thoughts?
    He’s gonna look at the ambient temps prior to the next flight to insure all temps are starting at the same place! The winterization plates have been removed.
    Asking for a friend! 😁
    Thanks Alot!
    Fly Fun!
    George

PS…. I have a JPI 790 in my ‘81 Seneca III, which works awesome and I’m happy with, but the Oil Temp function was never purchased by the previous owner so is not hooked up…
BTW, thanks to everyone who helped me out last winter with my Oil Temp/Winterization Kit issue. The temps were good at 180+ then and are running 200-ish now. I’m using the Scott “pop the Oil Cap after Shutdown” method of obtaining TBO on your engines” and I’m watching the stream rise up and out, it’s pretty cool! 👍

Comments

• Hi,
    The G4 Twin is not a primary instrument for oil temp. The ship gauge remains the authority. The delta T is most likely location based (where the sensors are located) It does not use the same sensor. They should read the same at start up.

130/140 seems low. I would review where it is located and if it is a recommended location.

Have a great day!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I'm in agreement with Eric. On my turbo Arrow (same engine TSIO-360) the primary oil temp probe is near the oil cooler. My JPI oil probe is right behind the prop. 50 degree difference. Today, for example, the JPI showed 165 degrees and the primary at the oil cooler showed 120. In my case, I believe the JPI and just use the primary for reference.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Guys!
    Outstanding, I’ll let him know!
    George