recommended handheld transceiver.

Hello All,

My 16 year old handheld transceiver finally bit the big one. What is the best recommended handheld right now? My bird only has one panel mounted radio so I use the handheld to collect ATIS and as an emergency back up to my main radio.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2021

They are all good but I chose the Sporty's sp400 https://www.sportys.com/sporty-s-sp-400-handheld-nav-com-aviation-radio.html . I chose this radio among a field of great radio's for two reasons. 1. It has a large display and large buttons. I don't use it often and I want it to be easy and readible when I need it in bouncy weather. And 2. I has VOR and ILS, useful in a pinch. I had 3 brand new alternators fail in the same month two months ago and I used this radio to get home. (I'm on my fourth alternator and everything seems to be working okay)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I use the Yaesu 750L. Lots of nice features, reasonable price. Had to use it once over Atlanta when smoke from the radio stack caused me to shut off the master and still needed to talk to Approach. Worked like a champ.

N2007P

• I've used ICOM radios for more than 20 years. I still have one of ICOM's that I purchased 20 years ago and it works great. I have a new ICOM that I just purchased about 6 months ago and it works quite well. Never any issues and when needed it just worked (tm).

You might consider putting a BNC connector on the panel and tie it to an existing antenna. then you can use a short bit of cable from the hand held to the AC antenna. Make sure you check impedance and load on the cable so that it won't interfere with your panel mounted radio if you do tie it in..

• Hi and thanks for your comments. I differ on one item: You cannot use an existing antenna. You must have a separate antenna. If you use an existing antenna (that is connected to an existing radio) it will damage the existing radio when you transmit.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a Yaesu 750L and a Sportys PJ2. The PJ2 has far fewer features, as such it is brain dead simple to operate, plus your aviation headset plugs right in and works. The Yaesu has an adapter that isn't always plugged in and ready in flight because I use it around the hangar/airport. The Yaesu also requires setting changes to be located and changed to use the headset... not easy to find while flying!
    Had I purchased the PJ2 first I would probably not have the Yaesu.
    Also, I would recommend getting a radio that uses alkaline batteries because they have a much longer shelf life than rechargeable batteries and keep at least one fresh set available. I have the alkaline battery pack for the Yaesu but use the rechargeable battery on the ground.
    The PJ2 uses alkaline batteries primarily but also can be powered with a USB cable for backup.
    I can't speak to the durability of the PJ2 as I've only had it less than 2 years, but so far so good!
    Yaesu radios on the other hand have a very good reputation for durability. I have had 8 or 9 Yaesu Ham radios over the years and never had a single problem with any... ever! With the exception of the rechargeable batteries not holding a charge for very long storage periods!

• Hi Ray, good feedback. It reminds me that my Yaesu only has a NiMH battery pack and I should find or replace the AA battery back.

I would recommend single use lithium AA batteries for a backup radio over alkaline. They have 8x the charge, ~ 20 year life and they will not leak. They also operate well at low/high temps (-40F to 140F). About $1.50 per battery. The high current capability at deep discharge is important for extended radio transmit applications.
    https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited July 2021

Those are the batteries I use!
    I reference Alkaline because Yaesu references Alkaline in the battery tray discription.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9881

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/yaesubattery11-12831.php

Agreed, those batteries are well worth the extra cost.

• Thanks for the links Ray - now I need to find out what model I have... ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Just saw Scott's comment about the necessity for a separate antenna for your handheld. I thought the same thing, However, not sure what the avionics shop did 15+ years ago, but I have two coms AND a panel connection for my hand held (which I do use from time to time) but only two antennas. Never an issue, so I would recommend to anyone considering a panel connection for their handheld to check with their avionics shop for options.
  • Yes, being the ham radio guy that I am, I know that connecting the output of a transmitter (handheld) to the input of a receiver (navcom) will blow out the receivers sensitive circuits.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I concur Scott, being a ham radio guy as well. They must have found a way around this obvious issue as no smoke or radio failures to date. Just lucky? I hope not :o

• Hi Mike, the only option I can think of is an antenna switch with one position for the navcom and the other position for the HT.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott, as much as I dislike crawling under the panel and tracing wires, I will try to sort out this mystery next time out. Honestly, I've never given this connection much thought since it just seems to work. BUT, I have no desire to smoke a receiver in the future!

I know it came in very handy when both my alternator and eventually the battery quit while being vectored for an ILS approach in IMC to Raleigh Durham! Fortunately the handheld was within reach, charged, and I broke out about 800 ft!

Looking forward to the dinner!

• Well ok! Mystery solved Scott! The cable to my hand held radio has a BNC connector for the antenna on one end and a 3mm phone Plug on the other. When you insert the plug into the panel socket, it DISCONNECTS the external antenna for my #2 com and connects it to the handheld!

The company that made this device years ago is Aerospace Instrument Support, Inc. in Denton, Texas. They are still in business, but I called them and they no longer manufacture this unit. They told me Bendix King made something similar. See photo attached. I did not use the phone number on the device but looked them up online.

Regards,

Mike
  • Hi Mike, I had no idea this device was available but it makes perfect sense. I wonder if there's something like that available now? I'll check around. BTW, are you at Airventure on Monday? I'm meeting with Jim Griffin on Monday, hopefully for lunch, and thought a few of us might get together. Also, we have 101 members coming to our dinner on Monday night!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Mike, here's something that might do it... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/rami-dplx-av590.php

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a Sporty's PJ2 radio and really like it. VERY easy to use in an emergency. Turn it on, and enter the frequency. Uses regular AA batteries, standard PJ headset jacks, and a USB-c input for backup power.

https://www.sportys.com/pj2-handheld-com-radio.html

My avionics shop installed a 3mm jack setup exactly like MikeJJ's - When I plug the BNC/3mm antenna cable into the panel, it connects to my #2 Comm antenna and disconnects the Garmin 255. No idea what device they used to make the connection.

Ken Hoke
    1976 PA-32-300 Cherokee Six
    KLOU

• Thanks Ken!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• MikeJJ writes " The cable to my hand held radio has a BNC connector for the antenna on one end and a 3mm phone Plug on the other..." (Also Ken)

I gather your photo shows the back side of the connector box, with one BNC cable coming from the radio and the other going to the antenna. The 3mm phone socket is a common audio component, often used to disconnect an internal speaker when you plug in headphones. It has 3 terminals on the back - one goes to the ground sleeve on the plug, the second goes to the tip of the plug, and the third is connected to the second as long as there isn't a plug in the socket. Buying the box from Aerospace would be a convenience, but it's easy enough to make one up if you're handy with a soldering iron. It's still a good idea to enclose the wiring in a box to shield the transmitter signal.

• Andy
  • Scott writes "https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/rami-dplx-av590.php".

Careful. The description of this box says it uses the voltage from each comm radio's PTT switch to connect that radio to the antenna exclusively. With neither PTT pressed, it connects both radios allowing both of them to receive. Problem is getting the PTT signal from the handheld to the box, and you absolutely positively need this. The headset adaptor of my Icom A-24 has a jack for an external PTT switch, so maybe it's possible to get a usable PTT signal out of there as well. It all depends on how the PTT circuit of a particular radio is wired, and at least in my case, it's not something the manufacturer intended.

• Andy
  • The device that Andy is referring to is the Icom Antenna Switchbox. It shares an external antenna with a simple device that detaches the panel radio while connecting the portable. The portable must use a BNC connector. The device is a box mounted behind the panel with a small hole in the panel that exposes a standard mini female plug. The unit comes with a 4' cable with the male sub-miniature plug on one end and the BNC on the other. The aircraft antenna plugs into the box and you need a short cable from the box to the panel mount radio. Now, you remove the rubber ducky and attach the BNC end to the portable.
    Now, when you plug the 4' cable into the panel, the external antenna is disconnected from the panel radio and connected to the portable but ... unfortunately, ICOM may has discontinued this? I can't see anyone selling them. My other advice is to keep the radio very simple and as mentioned, use only store bought batteries, forget rechargeables in the back-up role. They lose their juice and can't be depended on in an emergency. Forget all the bells and whistles that are available in these portables today. You will use the portable to talk your way down. If you're thinking your going to fly an ILS with a handheld ... forget about it. The basic Sporty's SPA with com only and alkaline batteries gets my vote!