Insurance for your home with attached hangar.

I’ve been with Chubb since we moved into our home with attached hangar for 5 years. The rates have been reasonable until this year. They want to increase my rates by some 75% this year. We’ve had no claims or any other issues. So, I’m just curious who any of you insure with that own a hangar/homer in an air park. Thanks.

John

Comments

• Did you get any resolution to this? That is a huge increase.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• Well, yes I did. I dropped Chubb after talking with a local insurance agent. She was able to get me a number of quotes that were much more reasonable. In fact, the entire package from Safeco (home/hangar, $2M of umbrella coverage and my car) all cost less than $3000.

• That's excellent. I'm very pleased that it worked out.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Me too Scott. To be honest, it appears as though Chubb just wanted to drop me. I don't know why. Thank goodness for my insurance agent friend here in Payson that came through for us. She's the best!

• Excellent! And I agree, it seems like Chubb just didn't want to insure you any more. Oh well, their loss!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• That is a great rate. You are beating me hard.
    I have
    2016 Chevy 1 ton Diesel truck
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    1976 Jeep that I built, my first born driven less than 500 miles a year.
    2007 Lakota horse trailer
    All for $1700 a year
    300/900 coverage
    A $400,000 new build home not in a floodplain, no farm animals, no commercial farming with 1 million umbrella all for $3500 a year. I even live in one of the safest locations in the county in a very safe part of the state, I am 0.42 mile from a fire hydrant.
    My rate is not even counting airplane insurance. That will be an additional $2,000 a year. I am getting hit by no hangar for the Arrow. It will go down “some” once it moves inside its own hangar. They will not give me credit for it living inside with the business owners personal planes, I must have my own hangar, the one with security cameras and automatic fire suppression is not good enough. Insurance makes my head hurt.

• Insurance makes all of our heads hurt these days. It'll be interesting to see what the renewal rate for Safeco is next year. I always anticipate increases, especially with all of the natural disasters going on now, so I hope what I have now doesn't just turn out to be an "introductory rate"! :smile:

• Anyone have any idea what the insurance losses were at airports due to Ira related flooding? Unfortunate for the owners and definitely not good for aviation aside from the spare parts dealers.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I know several members of a Jeep group I hang with on the west coaste have been displaced by the wild fires. I hope none of this group have been run out of their homes by fire or flood. I know I can get my Jeep on the roof of my house if needed.
    I am a redneck, very well educated but still a redneck.
    I hope the Reno Air Races can fly.