Seneca 11 Fuel Pump on take off and landing

edited July 2021 in General Discussion

I'm having conflicting information on my new to me Seneca 11, The dash board check list states to turn on the electric fuel pump on take off and landing, When i put the pump (LOW) on at ideal, before take off the engine wants to quit, the POH is not clear.

Any experience or advice!!!!!

Comments

• Welcome! I've been flying the Seneca II for about 10 years now, and see the same result as you: Turning the Aux pumps on LOW before takeoff results in an overly rich mixture, and makes the engines (want to) stall.

Under Before Takeoff - Ground Check, my POH offers the following:

Auxiliary Fuel Pumps.............OFF.

Bob

• Same for the Seneca III as Bob listed. The original location for the checklist was on the sunvisor. If it says Aux pumps "On" it is possible someone added an incorrect label to the panel. Your plane specific POH is the authority here. It will list placards and limitations in section 2.

The only time you would turn it "on" to low is if you were having vapor lock issues on climb out. "On" to High only if your fuel pump failed on the engine. You would only touch this if the engine stopped running and in your troubleshooting while at a comfortable altitude and speed you were working down your checklist.

I would suggest looking at prop speed and throttle setting for the failed engine and see if you have fuel flow. If it indicates normal fuel flow and responds to throttle it is unlikely to be a fuel related shutdown. If fuel indicates zero then I would try it briefly and see if power is restored. If power is not restored immediately I would turn it off, fully secure the engine and focus on SE operations. My caution here is if there is a fuel leak turning the hi pump on it going to dump lot's of fuel into the engine bay risking a fire.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hi guys, 30 years of Seneca II's and III's and I never used the fuel pumps on takeoff. Low is for vapor lock and high is for emergencies. At least that's my experience.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Guys sorry it took so long to get back on, Info has been very helpful.