Comments

• If it weren't so tragic it would be funny... Let's not be like him!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited August 2021
    There are old pilots and there are bold pilots...depending on your viewpoint, he is either both, or none of the above. He is without question the luckiest and unluckiest person all at the same time. That being said, I'm a firm believer that we control much of our own luck by our aeronautical decision making. Consider the following:

20 years since his last night landing. He's going into an unfamiliar field at night (03:20 am no less), in an unfamiliar/sketchy aircraft that he's already had problems with (and crashed) with NO landing light. I'm not judging, but that's not what I would consider good aeronautical decision making.

I'm glad he survived the ordeal. The best aeronautical decision I read in this entire story is that he's giving up flying. Stay safe out there.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• We all know very well that mistakes and unplanned events happen. We even know that sellers are regularly very optimistic about the aircraft's actual condition.

What happens after an event is the key, and I know of three types of mindsets when it comes to incident response.

Those whom experience an undesirable event, do not take ownership of the circumstances by way of making no corrective adjustments, and express surprise when the event repeats. Commonly, this individual blames an event on external influences and/or other individuals.

Those who experience an undesirable event and learn from it by taking ownership and making corrective adjustments to not repeat the event.

Those whom use wisdom in learning from the experience of others by outright predicting an event and proactively avoiding the pitfalls.

Am not trying to claim that I am a perfect wisdom candidate, and at the same time I work hard to stay out of the first category.

Despite notation of the individual stating an intent to give up flying, am not sold that this is evidence of actually learning anything or taking ownership of the events. Sadly, there were lots of opportunities missed in this tale and evidence that similar events will repeat even if it is not with an aircraft.

• Jacobsja;
    You nailed it.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Determination is one thing, but each leg of that journey got progressively worse imo. Mind boggling decision after mind boggling decision. Insanity.