Wing Spar ADs and SBs

How can I tell for my aircraft which wing spar ADs and SBs apply? My PA28-140/160 S/N is 28-26823.

Also, any recommendations on shops that have successfully completed these preferably in the East Texas/Louisiana area?

Are the kits I've heard that would be needed available from distributors or Piper?
Also, I've heard the washers in the kits are not correct, can you help me figure out what I need please?

Thanks very much.
Walter

Comments

• edited September 2021

Here is the AD for your late night reading pleasure. I'm not aware of any kit from Piper but maybe others have. We'll see what others post, too.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for your reply, Scott. I received AD 2020-24-05 at the end of Dec 20, now I have the AD you attached 20-26-16, then I received from Piper a Service Spares Letter No. 508 in April 21; followed by a Piper SB 1366 in May 21; and an FAA SAIB AIR-21-10 in June 21, all dealing with wing spar and wing attachment fittings for my serial number.

My questions after reading all these:
    1. These two ADs seem very similar, do I need to do both of them?
    2. As Part 91 operators do we have to comply with service bulletins and SAIBs?

Haven't seen any other posts on here and I just got sarcastic replies on the PA-28 Facebook group.
    Thanks for your help.

• Hi, I will have to look at both AD's (it's been a while) and see if you need to comply with both. As for SB's, they are optional but generally the right thing to do. Don't summarily disregard the SB, rather sit down with your A&P/IA and review all of the material (SB and AD's) together with your log books and other records and make the right decision for you and your plane.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi, Waltla. Lone Star Aircraft Services at 6R3 (Cleveland, TX) has experience with the wing spar ADs, etc., and does excellent work. I have an Arrow II, and they did my Eddy Current inspections, service letter compliance, and all the rest. I am based there, use them exclusively, and recommend them highly. If interested, ask for Johnny (the owner) at 832-651-8269 or johnny@lonestaraircraftservices.com.

• Thanks for the recommendation!
    I contacted Saavy Aviation, they said my Cherokee doesn’t need the 20-26-16 but does need the 24-05 AD. Scott do you agree?
    Yes I plan to sit down with my AP/IA and discuss the SBs.
    Thanks again for all your help!

• Gcmlfm, I’m taking my plane to Lonestar next Tuesday, Johnny seems very easy to work with, thanks for the recommendation!

• Let us know how this turns out please, I know we'll all be curious. I'm sure Lonestar will also tell you if you need 20-26-16 also, or just 24-05 (though Saavy does know what they're saying typically, just saying, now curious if Lonestar says the same thing). We can also get organization A&P Erich to chime in.

Digital Product Manager
    Piper Owner Society

• I just finished my annual inspection in July on a PA-28-235, built in 1967. The crux of the SBs is: Doues your airframe have over 5,000 hours, has your aircraft ever been used by a flight school for T&G landing training and if so, for how long, and has your aircraft ever been located in an area where there can be corrosion primarily from salt spray? The other SB deals with bolting of the forward wing spar to the wing box and the placement of washers on the "Jesus" bolts. The appropriate placement of these washers is to have the rounded edge against the spar gusset and not the square edge. The rationalle is a rounded edge does not produce a finite fracture force where a square edge does. Much the same theory of rounding the edges of a concrete slab vs. a square edge where spalling could take place. This inspection is reletively easy if you have an inspection plate on the underside of your wing. Crawl under your wing and see if there is an oval shaped inspection plate about half way between your landing gear and the wing root. There should be six sheet metal screws that you can get to with a #2 phillips screw driver. Using a dental mirror and flashlight, you should be able to see these five bolts. Your A&P should be able to make this inspection in about 15 minutes and you could do it for free but he needs to document it.