Best place to land in St Louis

I will be going to St Louis in a couple of weeks for a 5 day conference in the downtown part of the city. Any suggestions as to the best of either KSUS or KCPS to base for the week? (NOT KSTL!)

Jim Torley
CFI-A/I/G
1969 Arrow 200
Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

Comments

• Hi Jim,

Sounds like a fun trip. I've been to all three, but not since before the pandemic hit, so I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics. My recollection:

• All three are national chain FBOs; Great accommodations and service, but fuel prices & landing and ramp fees are all high.
    • Both Spirit and Downtown coordinate with off-airport rental car companies. If you arrive 9-5 M-F that's probably fine, but on weekend days your car will likely get lost. On the other hand, the FBO lets you drive right up to your airplane for loading & unloading.
    • The last time I landed at Lambert was at night in IFR, and I recall the taxi to Signature being a real chore. Today with ForeFlight, it would probably be a piece of cake.

Good luck, and make sure to post your details,

Bob

• Thanks, Bob. I will be sure to report on the trip.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I recently tied-down at KSUS for a night. Nice place. Do not remember the tie-down fee and am sure the folks will state the rate over the phone. Bonus was that the line help mentioned that I could fuel from the truck, or taxi down to self-serve for $2 per gallon less. When looking at prices online, the published fuel rate is from the self-serve.

Two notables about Spirit of St. Louis are to watch for the Class B rings, and for a midland location it was very humid.

• Thanks for the tip!! I will try to be prepared for humidity but Colorado is definitely NOT that way!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200