Auto Pilot

I have the opportunity to purchase an auto pilot from an older Archer. Is it worth putting into my 1965 Piper Cherokee and what else avionics way would I need to purchase.

Comments

• Which autopilot is it? Does it have all the parts, harnesses, etc and was it removed working? Was it an autopilot available to the Cherokee? Might impact any approval paperwork required

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited September 2021

My guess is that it's an old Century autopilot, but what vintage we don't know. Century does sell installation kits and STC's for the old A/P's but the last time I looked it cost about $5k for that. As I recall, STC's for Century's are specific to an airplane, not a model, hence needing to purchase an STC. Contact them for details at www.centuryflight.com. It might be cheaper to buy a brand-new digital autopilot like trutrak versus putting an old one in. I think the cost would be cheaper for a new one.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• In my opinion it would be best to consider the Bendix Aerocruze 100 “TruTrak” 5K for the unit, you will be further ahead with a more up to date unit. Installing an old unit actually might be more if it is a century 2/Piper 3B by the time you mount servo and if the DG and AI isn’t included there will be more expense. The Bendix unit comes with everything you need, one control head or flat panel control box and two servo’s. Like you, I was trying to save on cost, but by the time you spend all the money to install an old unit you could have a new unit with a warranty.
  • Good to hear that. I think that it makes no sense to do a fresh installation on an old autopilot. Thanks for your comments.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2022

I have an old Century II in my 1965 Cherokee - after many years it stopped working - I sent the main unit to Autopilots Central and they were able to fix it for an $11 part and $300 in labor so I would say I was fortunate - replacement options were really expensive

• Installing this stuff is a really bad idea me thinks. Labor will be the same, if not more, regardless. For a few grand more, you could have a modern digital AP. If you cannot afford the new AP plus labor, I really believe you are biting off more than you can chew as an owner.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• The key is the cost of labor to put everything in. Labor will likely be very high relative to the cost of the unit. (used Century APs are now readily available from the junkyards and shops that had installed new APs, and can come with a warranty that it works, at least when shipped). If you "need" an AP for how you fly, you should consider that the old AP +parts have no warranty (after the second day you fly it) and no new repair parts are available. If you really need an AP, I would spend the labor on a new AP. The current APs are so much nicer than the old ones.