1966 PA32-260 Engine Compartment Cable Routings

Greetings. I am restoring an early 1966 PA32-260 with the push pull controls in the dash. I bought the plane in pieces. I am trying to figure out how the cable routings should go in the engine compartment. The service manuals are proving very difficult to get the exact routings from. Do any of you have a PA32-260 like mine who may be willing to take pictures in the engine compartment and send them to me as a reference?

Comments

• I also did an image search online to see if anyone had detailed pics. Unfortunately it is a complicated thing to photography with everything else going on in the engine bay.

Where are you based? Perhaps we can find a nearby owner? If you do find someone to take pictures I would recommend convincing them to also use some temporary color tape and loosely wrap the control lines so that it is clear what is over or under in the routing.

Are you looking for prop, mixture, throttle and carb heat?

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Yes. I need routing for throttle, prop, carb heat, mixture, heater. It needs to be for a 1966 PA32-260 though. I'm in McKinney Texas at T31. I appreciate any help you can give.

• Give me till Friday and I'll have descriptions and pics for ya...

Kurt Johnson

• Thanks N936BW!

• edited September 2021

Let me know if you stiill need photos we have a 1966 260 . singhbam@aol.com

• With a strong community of pilots like this we can keep them flying forever! Thanks Singhbam and N936BW for offering to help birtno. A good reminder that if you have a question about your plane don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will have the answer - or know how to get it.

A tip. Whenever you have your plane decowled, engine off, exhaust off, etc it is great to have detailed pictures to refer to from before and after. Often there is a big gap in time for major work and what seemed obvious when you took it apart is no longer clear. I try and do this with everything I work on and I can say for sure I have never regretted taking pictures - but I have regretted not!

If you get some inexpensive colored electrical tape you can temporarily string this along the cable/hose runs in contrasting colors. This can help identify what is over vs under another hose and make it clear what the path is.

Pictures over time can also help troubleshoot things like small exhaust leaks, new oil leaks, etc as you will be able to bracket when it started for troubleshooting.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Starting with pic 1 the annotations should be self explanatory. Once thru the firewall they are each routed to their final connections and secured to the engine mount in various places.

Feel free to ask for clarification of any of the photos.

Kurt

Kurt Johnson

• Hi Kurt. Thank you so much for the pics, very helpful. Can you get pictures of those cable routings in the engine compartment? Especially how they anchor to the engine and hook up to the carburetor, carb heat, and prop governor would be very helpful. I know there's a bracket that mounts to the engine and anchors those cables to the engine. I really need to see that bracket. I also need to know how to get the cables from the firewall to the engine.

Again, thank you very much for these pictures,

Norm

• I took as many photos as I could. Good luck. By the way, if you can spot where my oil leak is it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kurt Johnson

• Kurt, at least you will not have to worry about rust! If you solvent clean and then ground run only usually it is easier to find. You can also use a bit of talcum powder. First place I would look is any seam like the case seam

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)