Looking to buy CHEROKEE SIX 300 1975

Any pointers as to specific problems that I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• I assume you are in NSW? My friend and AP IA moved back there from the states. Aaron Smith in the Newcastle area with Skyline Aviation Group. He mostly does helicopters now but he is very familiar with the Cherokee line. You can contact him and tell him I sent you.

To me it seems expensive ($110k USD?)but I know the 300 series is sought after. The 7th seat means no Basic Med in the US. The panel is very basic and it would also be subject to the wing AD (I think) in the US. You would want them to do this at their risk prior to purchase.
    Is there an ADSB requirement? Engine overhaul in the US would be in the 30 to 50k range (rough estimate)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Thanks Eric,
    I do live in the Newcastle area and Covid has kicked the price for light aircraft. Wing AD has been done.
    I am thinking that because the plane can be used for charter work everything should be up to date

• I know the aviation rules in Australia are strict. Aaron would have some local advice for you. Sounds like the AD for the wings is done. Has it been actively flown? Any corrosion issues or corrosion treatments? (Proximity to sea). If it was or is doing active charter work you have wear and tear but planes usually do better overall when they are actively flown. I would ask for their operating procedures for normal and emergency operations. Are they flying it > 75% power settings? What is the maint history and anything that is odd?

Do you have a local shop? Are they doing a pre-buy? Having this identified up front can be a big help.

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited September 2021
    Agree with Eric. Have a pre-purchase inspection done. This next part is important: do NOT have the same shop that normally does their maintenance perform the pre-buy inspection. You want a different set of eyes looking at it.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff and Eric,
    I closed the deal yesterday.
    It has an original panel except for an old GPS.
    I would like to upgrade the autopilot to give me altitude hold as well.
    Any thoughts.

• Congrats! I would suggest flying it for at least 15 hrs before making any changes. After the 15 hrs you will have a much better idea of what you want to focus on. You might conclude it trims out so well in pitch altitude hold is not needed.
    Regarding GPS, if you are flying VFR then Foreflight on a tablet might meet your needs or even exceed them without the cost and expense of a panel unit.

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Good advice thanks