Seeking Advice for Purchasing PA-32RT

Hello everyone,

I am purchasing my first GA aircraft. A Piper PA-32RT tail #300007. I plan on doing my pre-buy inspection on Tuesday. I have run a complete aircraft history report, title search, and have reviewed all the logs. Besides the good but generic advice you can find on AOPA, what other things should I be looking for regarding this make and model in particular? Any areas of the aircraft I should pay special attention to? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Make sure all of the ADs are completed. There are a couple of expensive ones. Specifically, there is a fuel tank inspection and a wing spar inspection. if repairs are needed, they are expensive

• Am presuming from the well framed narrative (which is meant as a compliment) that homework was done into this specific breed of bird. But I am not one to presume.

Any time in this turbo? If not, consider trying to find a rental and go up with a CFI.

Any time in a PA-32? Approach to landing and flair is different than a PA-28 or Cessna. Riding with an experienced CFI post purchase will help quickly dial-in the nuances.

While on the topic of approach, follow the POH here. Gear goes down before flaps. Trying to get into the white arc while clean is a chore. Related, the plane's warning system might complain about flap extension if the gear is not already down.

When light on passenger weight, the PA-32R likes 50 pounds secured in rear storage to help with overall flight characteristics. Talked with a PA-32RT owner whom verified this as well.

If not already complete, do homework on the wastegate and how it may affect each phase of flight; especially take-off.

Original question set does not indicate which tail is on the plane. T-tail and regular tail make a difference in slow speed handling. While I have not flown a PA-32 T-tail, from experience in both T-tail and regular tail in a PA-28, the T-tail needs more speed. Have read enough commentary to sense this is also the case with a T-tail PA-32. Whatever the case, the POH will have good information.

Might consider pulling a list of other nearby owners from the FAA and reaching out for inputs on the behaviors. I can state that sending a gift card of nominal amount along with a nicely worded introduction letter does get results (but sadly, not 100% in my case).

Aside from the above, any good Piper shop should know how to maintain the plane.

• What is the tail number? What you posted is a nonconforming tail number.

I own a PA32RT-300T. Having flown a Toga, straight Lance and the T tail Lance, I’m convinced all the chicken little calls and howling at the moon over the T tail is substantially uncalled for. 90 over the fence, 80 on the numbers, chirp em around 76 and make the first turnout. It will get sloppy when dirty and below 80 knots. At cruise, it’s actually smoother than the straight tails as the stabilator is in clean air.

Some common issues are the gear. Make sure the pump will hold up the gear. Do so by leaving the gear up on jacks overnight. If it sags, even a small amount, you have a fix in your immediate future.

Does it have a 2 blade prop? If so, it has a reoccurring AD every 150 hours. Have the eddy current inspection done of the hub.

Make sure the shop confirms fuel pressure on the electric pump is strong and in limits.

Pay close attention to the D3000 mag. I’ve replaced two in 400 hours. There is a capacitor in the cap and if that goes, your AOG. How many hours of the plug wires is also at the top of my list.

Make sure the AD on corrosion behind the tanks is done, as well as the other ADs like the aft wing attachment inspection for cracks and corrosion.

Other than that, I can’t think of any substantial MX problems I’ve seen or heard from other owners. Sure, stuff will break or wear out all the time. But they tend to be fairly reliable if you stay on top of them.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• edited November 2021

Check for corrosion under the rear seat from water leakage. I missed that area for many years and came close to an inflight control failure. Also, If the plane has been outside then check for corrosion under the windshield. And the rudder spar is a likely place for corrosion, too. See pics. There are steel plates that are riveted to aluminum that don't do well when the windshield seal fails. And when you get it, get yourself two 25 pound dumbbells for the baggage area. You may run out of elevator during the landing flare if you're light.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My gawd, Scott. Did you take that one swimming once? That is some nasty corrosion going on there.

• My A&P missed it on 9 consecutive annual inspections. I changed shops and they found it immediately. It cost $8k to repair to like new condition.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the great advice everyone. The tail is N30007. It’s a T-Tail and normally aspirated. I guess the “RT” at the end of the designation stands for “retractable T-Tail”?
  • Carol Snow is going to miss this baby! Nice looking bird!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Negative sir, RT stands for Really Tall. FWIW I love mine. I have no regrets on buying it. Precovid I flew the Bahamas every couple months. Haven’t been back since Dec 2019.

• Packer... alot of good advice here. I own N30074 and would have to think long and hard to come up with any negative comments.

I just really appreciate the way it flies and I like the way it handles on the ground. Fly with so.eone who knows the plane and dont get caught up in the static.

I just pulled all the tanks to get a look at the spar. While out, we replaced all the seals, a few weeping rivets, and pressure tested...$1,600 for work on all four tanks...and treated the spar. Those were the only square inches I had not seen before. Worth the dollars for peace of mind and satisfying the associated SB.

Bonus points - I can fit two cars in a t-hangar with the plane.

To your original question. The PA32RT-300 has surprisingly few ADs. They make sense (in my opinion) and are not all that challenging to verify on a recurring basis or eliminate through permanent fixes (likely already done).

For prepurchase, I focused on compression, magneto timing, plug and injector condition, landing gear, wing spar (I only had 1,347 factored hours) condition, and AD compliance.

My default setting is 100 downwind, 90 base, and 80 final. I concur with mid-70s at touchdown. No muss, no fuss, no float.

Let me know if you want to talk any specifics for operations. I am a CFII as well.

Bob
  • Scott, thanks for posting your pics previously. It was one of the first places I looked on a pre-buy (no issues found). You have to pull the carpet to see but no excuses not to.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• You're welcome, Eric. I'm glad your inspection showed no corrosion. My spent a few years in Florida, unused, which cause the problem. There's an interesting story that goes with my Seneca II. Ask me about it sometime... :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!