Keys

2»

Comments

• Digital Product Manager
    Piper Owner Society

• Great article and pictures. I bought a set of Medco locks a year ago and still haven't installed them because it's unclear to me if you need an A&P signoff. Locks don't seem to be referenced in any way on the owner maintenance list.

Advice?

Greg Arserio | PP-ASEL-Instrument | N8390C 1976 Archer II | Rochester, NY (Based at KSDC)

• garserio et al;

Install the Medco's. Completely worth it, and not difficult.

If you're concerned about a sign-off, you can follow Scott's instructions and install the locks yourself. Then have your A&P inspect your work and sign off your logs.

Then go flying!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Not disagreeing about locks keeping honest people honest. But, my Garmin 430w, and 3 others at the same time, were stolen by someone with some old keys. Planes with newer locks weren’t touched. Needless to say, I have a new (used) 430w, AND new locks.

• Assure your Arrow that as long as it self-identifies as a Piper all will be well!

When I first saw the sales advertising for my Archer one of the upgrade items listed was Medeco locks, whatever that is! The first time I locked/unlocked the aircraft it was VERY apparent these were not the standard issue Piper locks I was accustomed to over the past 40 years of twisting Piper door locks!

I'm sure these locks probably take an extra 5 to 10 seconds for a highly skilled lock pick to defeat but he/she probably won't be using a hairpin or paper clip either.

By the way, if you are interested, this very same set of Medeco locks can be purchased complete with a beautiful 1979 Archer II for a measly $105,000 dollars!

One week from today I'm off to Aurora State Airport/Van's Aircraft to pick up the Finish kit for my RV-12 project so I will be needing hangar space for my new airplane before too long!

• edited September 2022

I'm thinking about the Medeco locks. But here is another possible point of view: The stock locks may deter very casual intruders. If someone really wants access to the plane and is determined enough to pick the locks but can't get in, they may instead cause significant damage to the door, body, or windows to gain access.

Also, several years ago I dropped my plane off for service late at night but forgot to give them the keys. But the shop was able to complete the work using keys on hand. Just a thought.

• I have Medeco locks on my Arrow. One key front and back. BTW, these are the same locks that you get on a shiny new Citation!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!