FAA Updated AD for Radar Altimeters versus FCC 5G cell phones

Here's an updated AD from the FAA on the impact that 5G frequency use granted by the FCC will have on your radar altimeter.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• In the AD they also refer to risks from 5G cell phones carried by passengers impacting radar altimeters. This is a nightmare as I would guess close to 1/3 of cell phone users never turn off their phones and close to ground is exactly when they start pinging local towers....
    Interesting they seem to plane the radar altimeters but they were there first!

Expect more of this an unreliable GPS when Ligado deploys it's satellite/ground base stations that could easily disrupt GPS signals. https://insidegnss.com/fcc-chooses-broadcast-till-you-break-it-gps-interference-standard/

I expect a future Notam to call out the Garmin 430 as not reliable and interfering with Ligado's rights to speed the distribution of cat videos and netflix movies. Also, they will mention that no one could have foreseen the impact but the solution will only require upgrading to the $50k Garmin platform and limiting non-part 135 to daylight VFR only.

Luckily we have options. If GPS is not working we can use the vast VOR network.... whoops!? How about those NDB's? Nevermind.... There are always paper maps.... What? No paper either? I am sure foreflight will be fun to use as a VFR paper chart while your ownship position bounces around the screen. Will make ADS-B interesting too.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Perfectly said Eric. We're living in a backwards world right now.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area