Plastic parts for side panels

Looking for help locating the rounded plastic pieces that is riveted to the top of the side panels that curves toward the windows. Does anybody know where you can purchase replacement pieces? I alway have the option to pick up a donor panel to steal the part but the ones I have are so brittle I would rather replace them. I need them for a 1974 Arrow. Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2022

It doesn't look like Knots2U or Texas Aeroplastics has anything of that nature. You might be able to contact Airtex and see where they source that part from or if they can sell it to you for a repair job.

Edit: You could probably fashion a replacement from some thin aluminum sheet also

Dan
    1969 Arrow 28R-200
    Herky bird pilot by day

• Try Airtex. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited January 2022

Another option is to use a 3D printer and print using ABS plastic or Nylon. You can check sites like Thingiverse and see if someone has already designed that part for you to use. Just download the design file (STL file) and hand off to someone with a 3D printer. Thingiverse has a lot of other Piper parts there and may have this one. Additionally, some of the sections of the plastic you had looked OK. You could use those pieces sprayed with a release agent and a fiberglass overlay and then join the pieces together with more fiberglass for the length you need. A third option would be to use Kydex plastic and a heat gun. You would have to carve a mold out of some wood, heat it high enough until it becomes limp and lay it over the mold.

• We should start up a project making 3-axis carved wood molds for parts. You would ship it to the person that needs it, they could put down some mold release agent, wetted out fiberglass, nylon rip stop and let it cure. A little work with a dremel and a can of spray paint and you would have a light and strong owner produced part to present to your mechanic.

Luckily there is still a fairly robust supply chain for plastic parts from multiple vendors - but if needed then do it your own is possible.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• That part does not look that difficult to reverse engineer using Fusion 360. Would just need thickness from a micrometer, length, and a profile from one of the ends. The resulting STL could be used to fabricate the part in sheet metal or 3D printing.

• What's the length of the part? Most hobby level 3D printers have maximum print bed sized in the 20-30 cm range.
    DJ

• On my rebuild we have taken another approach to replacement for many of the plastic interior parts. With the modern materials we are wrapping the parts in a ultra thin material so it can be reinstalled. Any way I will post photos so people can gauge the approach for themselves. BTW I am not cutting corners, still spending over USD$100T on this refurb. The methods that these guys are using are an eye opener.

They do B747, 787, etc; A330, Embraer, Bombardier etc, helicopters, GA. I cannot speak more highly of them(hope the product is good!!). Offices in US, Canada, South Am, Europe, Asia, UK. Design office in NZ, manufacturing facility Malaysia.