Best Wing Walk

All,
My 1977 Arrow III has typical black wing walk which still looks OK, but doesn't have much "grip" to it anymore and is actually getting pretty slick, especially when wet. There are several options for wing walk at Aircraft Spruce, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'd rather not have to remove the current wing walk as it's in pretty good shape and clean, just a little slick. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks all.

vr
Dante

Comments

• I used the painted on Wingwalk to do mine. In 5 years, it’s about time to hit it with another coat. It seems the rivet tops wear faster for me. It is definitely grippy.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I did mine 4 years ago with the stuff from Knots2U. It seems to be holding up very well.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I always had good luck with Ultra Wingwalk which you can get a Aircraft Spruce.
  • I am in the position of redoing my wing walk too! My wing walk has a lot peeling off around the door area and getting close to the paint. So how much preparation is needed. Do I need to scrape away the old all the way to the paint surface or can I just remove what is loose then apply and fill in where it came off. Never tried this before so want to prep correctly.
  • I also recommend replacing the fuselage to wing rubber seal after updating the wing walk.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• As a follow-up, I ended up going with the Ultra Wing Walk from Aircraft Spruce and I love it! I did NOT remove all the older coating, I just lightly sanded and roughed it up a bit. You can use a brush or a roller for the application (I used both) and found the roller to be more effective. The first coat appeared very inconsistent (appearance wise) and I was a little disappointed, but after the second coat, it was perfect! The dried finish is VERY "sticky" and definitely gives you firm footing either wet or dry. Overall, I'm VERY pleased with this product and for $42.00 you can't beat the price. One note, do make sure you mask off the area entirely...this stuff tends to go everywhere and it is not easy to remove, so take the time to do the prep work. After that, 10-15 minutes is about all it took me per coat and it was done. Hope that helps.

vr

Dante