Need mags overhauled

Anyone suggest a reputable shop?

Thank you.

Comments

• https://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/

Don Downs flyguydon@comcast.net 904-483-0367

I’d send mine to either one of these shops. There are quite a few more. I don’t do Kelly Aerospace.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I used Eagle Mags but I had issues. I have a D3000 Dual mag. They were quick and reasonable but the mag never really timed well. The alignment marks were off slightly and the difference between the two sides was 3-4 deg's. I had to purchase 2 new condensers as the ones I got caused an excessive amount of radio static. Last week with 130 hrs and < 1 year on the Mag, the right side died. I bought an overhauled (almost all new parts) from Kelly (Hartzell) and it installed without an issue. All alignment marks were perfect and the dif between the two sides was 1-2 deg's. Maybe just a fluke. Just do some research. If it is a single mag, I would go with Kelly's new builds. They are FAA/PMA - not remanufactured.

Tim

• I alway send mine to “Aircraft Magneto Service” in Montana. I know that might sound far away but I trust them so much I send them mine from Florida. I can say you will get a quality inspection and quality repair. Cliff and Steve provide a wealth of knowledge and experience even after the repairs. I give the five stars ⭐️. After your service you can feel secure the mags are good as new.
  • Here is there phone number for Aircraft Magneto service
  • I may have one for sale, 0 hrs? Will check to see where it is. I went with a surefly, it is the only way to go, the fuel saving will pay for itself in a couple hundred hours and a 2500 hr tbo. Easier starts and smoother running engine.
  • Interesting. Thanks.

I talked to Aircraft Magneto Service, they seem very knowledgeable.

Lately I have been hearing bad stories from friends who get their mags back from "XYZ" mag service with ridiculous issues. Its not rocket science.

• Dc871f, It is more the "dark arts". I understand there are some poorly documented steps on how to get the most out of a magneto during overhaul. The right type and amount of lubrication on the felt is one example. There also has been a relatively recent history of broken nylon wheels.

Mags are now #2 on my emergency checklist right after fuel. A misfiring mag (caused by something like a broken wheel) can cause a cascade of failures in an engine.

If you have the altitude consider pulling back the power immediately while troubleshooting. Nothing good happens at high power settings with engine trouble.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Out of interest why did you choose not to go electronic?

• Havnt ruled out electronic yet. Maybe see what the cost of overhaul will be.

• I think the fuel saving, let alone the ease of ops, makes it a no brainer.