How Fast? Normally Aspirated Piper Arrow.

Hello, I have a normally aspirated piper arrow with IO-360 200hp engine. After a good wash and wax I was registering 147Kts TAS at 4,500ft with a 6knot quartering headwind. My wish list is to find the Lo-Presti howl cowl. Has anyone seen speed numbers like this?

I have most of the available speed mods that I am aware of. Would love to streamline the cowling, and also would like to get rid of the temp probe pilot side window.

Wish I knew how to get my hands on the Lo-Presti cowl. Throughout Covid, flying has been what I look forward to!

Notes: I had my MP corrected on the G3X as it was showing about 3inch above book values. My #1 comm is out bc contrary to what I was told by the AV guy at time of purchase the 430W doesn't completely work. On the waiting list with Sarasota for a GTN 650xi.

Comments

• Funny you should mention about the Lopresti cowl. A friend of mine just bought a 1979 turbo Dakota with that cowl. It looks very nice. So I went to the Whelen website and the Arrow cowls are no longer there. I called and spoke to Jay at Whelen this morning. They're having two problems at their end. On the good news side, everything that's composite has been outsourced to Knots2U. It's funny that Knots2U make their own and Lopresti's composite parts. Now for the bad news. 1. They're having trouble making the metal parts. 2. They don't have the expertise to handle customer support for installation and maintenance. The Lopresti staff is now gone and Whelen is really in the light business. Jay did tell me that they have a long list of Piper owners that have placed orders but they don't know if they will ever produce them again. Jay would like that product restarted but he doesn't know if that will happen. You are welcome to get on their list if you want to. Also, if you happen to have one and need a part for it, plan on 8 to 12 weeks lead time. At least you will be able to get parts for it. So that's all I was able to find out.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• @Scott thank you for this information. It really helps with planning. Maybe one of our group members will hear or see if one down the road.
  • Yes, I have my fingers crossed on this. It's an A+ product and I'd like to have one.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I replaced my stock Turbo Arrow IV cowling with the LoPresti Cowling in 2020. My POC at Whelen (WAT) was Dave LoPresti. Not sure if he still there or not. It took 4 months to get the cowling after I contracted for it in October of 2019. It had to be made as they don’t keep them in stock. From Scott’s post it sounds like things have changed since the pandemic hit. If you can get one I believe the change is worth it both for cosmetics and engine cooling. Why else would Piper be manufacturing all the new Piper Archers and Seminoles with the LoPresti type cowling?

As far as your desire to get rid of the OAT Probe, I did the same thing by having a GAD 13 from Garmin installed. I have two G5s so not sure if the GAD-13 mod is compatible with your G3X.

John O’Leary
    Turbo Arrow IV (KRKP)
    CFI CFII CFIMEI (Gold Seal), ATP(MEL)
    Wright Bros. Master Pilot

• Doesn't help the OP, but any Turbo Arrow owner has the option of going with the Turboplus kit. They are in production and would fab up a kit in about a months time. They just built me a Turbo Lance kit and it was just installed, but not flown yet.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I've been considering a Turboplus kit for my Lance II, please post some comparisons...

• Kit price plus $6k to install it to begin with. Still needs paint on the cowl. I’m also doing K2U wing tips and wing root kit right now while the panel is slowly moving forward.

I’m very excited to see what it will do at full rental power. But I’m more excited not to see 430f on the CHT probes upon takeoff. I’ve already paid for two jugs. Trying to keep it at that till TBO.

I’m hoping to see 185kts on TAS. I think it will do it!

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I have the airflow system intercooler (no longer in production);on my Turbo Arrow and it does help keeping the CHTs down.

John O’Leary
    Turbo Arrow IV (KRKP)
    CFI CFII CFIMEI (Gold Seal), ATP(MEL)
    Wright Bros. Master Pilot

• I only see 380 - 400F on climb out but I'm climbing at 34-35 in MP and fuel flow +30 gph. 185kts would be impressive...good luck...

• The holy cowl that lo presti made and now piper bought rights. Is good for 10 kts inc in speed. There are several Cherokee six’s and lances running around with homemade cowls duplicating lo presti cowls. The fiberglass company uses two coffee cans for the mold. They work with u current cowl fill in and reform the air inlet.
  • Is that legal? And the lopresti cowl is lower on the top, the piper leaks air out behind the spinner. Is there a company that would do the mod? With an stc. I just finished my wing smoothing, I will post some number after my annual. Initial "feel" much better. Was climbing out at 1800'/min , -20*C , 2200 lbs approximately, wot. Max rpm's. 25 over 25 was 1300+
  • Here is a pic that is close, this was last summer. 22.4" mp, 2400 rpm. Tas 142
  • Fantastic! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Wow Bill, that's good performance!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• edited February 2022

My "Hershey Bar" wing Arrow I (200) regularly cruises at 140+ KTAS with a 2 blade prop. Photo was taken today just "warming up the oil" :)! (G5 airspeeds are in knots) I don't fly at low altitudes often so I don't know what it would do down there. Be an interesting thing to try. !
    https://piperowner.org/talk/uploads/editor/x1/yw96rolt1vc0.jpg

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Sweet!!! Yes those Hershey Bars are fast! Have you tried 2100 rpms and wot. My poh says to run over square. Is the "RED" on the tach for vibration "prop"?
    I would be curious to see if your temperatures would come down and better fuel economy?
  • Bill...No, I haven't tried running "over squared". My throttle is always wide open at this altitude. The red arc is for prop vibration according to the placard. According to this I would need to be less than 2100 rpm but even then it wouldn't be "over squared" at 9500 MSL!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• May want to try it? Little slower but I bet you could really improve fuel mileage and temperatures. Here is a pic of my power setting table for an IO-360-C series Lycomings
  • Thanks! Next time I fly to lower country I will give it a try!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200