Nose Dragger Tug PIREP?

I have a bead on a Nose Dragger electric tug. It’s about 5-7 years old me thinks. The price is right but I’m wondering if it has enough umph to move a plane that weighs in at 3300 lbs on the wheels with enough authority to make it worth while.

Any thoughts on these units for a PA32?

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

Comments

• edited February 2022

They sent me one a few years back for a product review when I had my Seneca. It handled the Seneca at around 3300lbs just fine. However, it can only handle two percent grade. If you have bumps, pot holes, door rails to go over it might be a challenge. Also, if you have snow and ice in the winter this might not be it. It works best going in a straight line.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• This one?

Should work fine for a PA32 as long as you do not have a big lip at your hanger entrance or a grade. If you do have a lip you will likely need a running start but I am sure it will still work.
    I have used a Powertow EZ40 on a 7450lb gross weight Cessna 421C before. With full fuel that is 500 to 1000lbs over the recommended weight for the EZ40. With a little finesse it would move it just fine....

For you the tug is within weight limits. The risk is if you need a running start for any reason to push it into the hanger there is some risk of getting it twisted post "lip" and if the hanger walls are tight rubbing the tips or tail against walls. For the 421C I had 8" of clearance at each tip. At the tail the static wick was touching and at the nose 4"... Managed to never scrape it but I had guide lines and drilled wheel chocks.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hi Eric,
    Do you see in the advertisement where it says "Recommended by Piper Flyer magazine"?

I'm the guy that wrote that review. It works well on a flat surface with no bumps, holes or door rails. The grade must be less than two percent. Also, it was iffy for my Seneca and it worked best moving in a straight line. I think one model up, like the NFE-4 (which I have been using for 5 years now) is the right one for this airframe.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I use a sidewinder on my PA32RT, it works good especially if you have the nose tire at the proper pressure...I have a small lip into my hanger that is negotiates well.

• The seller was using it on a Mooney Bravo and has echoed the flat use sentiment. Perhaps I should pass as it seems that it’s handicapped right from the start. I am waiting on a text back about an EZ tow 40 as well. My MX shop owner has it so it’s not on the market per se.

• edited February 2022

The EZtow40 runs great on sumped 100LL. I stopped using it for 4 years when I had access to another and it started right up (shelf life of 100LL is amazing vs gas). When 100UL is available I will use it in all small motors and occasional use engines

Scott, yes I saw and thought it might have been you. ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Roe

Sure looks like that’s a Bonanza. I assume a interwebz photo to posted, not your ride?

• You are correct, I copied it from the sidewinder web. I would have used a pic of mine if i had one...haven't been to the hanger in 10 days...I'm getting the shakes... :|

• X-2 on the Sidewinder. Hangar neighbors drool over it.

Bonus is that you get to take the thing with you and not have to rely on local field help to push around the bird.

• I now have a bead on an EZtow 40. I can move the plane with the tow bar albeit I hate to. So the tug will only be really necessary at home. I’m going to look at the EZtow today.

• Bought the EZ Tow40. Cherry condition, $500. What a steal!

• That is a fantastic deal on an EZ40.

Some improvement ideas:
    1) Check the belt for proper tension and make sure it slips when then the clutch is not engaged
    2) drill out the allen head pins for setting the clamp adjustment to the nose wheel and go 2x oversize. Stock is too small and eventually slips.
    3) check the lines for the clutch and engagement with the nose. They vibrate loose over time.
    4) Running 100LL the engine will last forever - I dump my sumps into the fuel tank.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hey Eric, I wasn't expecting number 4. Wow, what a great idea!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Years ago I had to defuel some 100LL from one of my tanks. I ran it in my lawn eqpt. Those engines ran smoother than ever before. Walking behind a mower burning 100LL smelled like I was at the airport, and that's always a good day!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Running 100LL is also in the EZtow 40 manual. I’ll go over the machine when I get back from a trip I’m taking next week. But I watched it move a Twinkie before I bought it so…

• I have had the EZ40 sitting for years unused at one point and it started right up. 100LL has a very long lifetime vs gas. Never had any issues with the plugs either, or really any issues at all.

It is true you are breathing in some lead via the exhaust but the HP is very low and use minimal. Using 100LL is also safer vs having an additional can of Autogas in the hanger (or moving autogas around via a car, etc). A decent sump at all points is plenty of fuel for moving the plane in and out of a hanger.

Hopefully soon we will see G100UL which will be near perfect with long life, high octane and no lead.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)