PA-28-151 vs. PA-28-161

Ok, so I have a 1976 Warrior that was upgraded with the D2A engine. The same as what originally came in the Warrior II.

That said, which performance charts should I be using? Is there anything else on the Warrior II, besides the wheel fairings, that changed the performance characteristics?

Thank you,

Comments

• I had a Warrior II back in the day and I would recommend that you use the charts appropriate to your new engine. Also, Jim Griffin (Griff) currently has a Warrior II and I'm hoping he'll hop in here.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• If the upgrade had an STC, all of this should be mentioned in the paperwork.

• I agree with Kentshaw, the STC paperwork should contain the new performance specs.

If they aren't available via the STC, I would use the performance numbers for the Warrior II (161). The 151 and 161 airframes are virtually identical, and your plane has the same hp engine as the 161. I can't see the performance numbers being that much different from a factory 161, if not identical.

As far as wheel pants or other speed mods, the 161 POH shows the factory wheel pants are good for 7 kts over bare wheels. I've flown my plane both ways and found that number to be very accurate. Consult the manufacturer of other speed mods for changes in performance.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area