Piper Cherokee 1963 PA/28 180

Number 1 Cylinder routinely checks rough on run up on right mag.

Cleaned small chunk of build from plug, changed plug, ?

Roughness is intermittent and clears after full power take off or removing plug and eliminating carbon strand from plug ?

Lycoming Engine only has 200 hours.

What is left to do ?

Instrument panel, most gauges only receive light from rear panel lighting ( Red).

What company provides a flat panel with LED's for standard instrument layout for a 1963 Cherokee ?

Comments

• Sounds like #1 is running rich and a little cool. (this condenses carbon and lead on the plug). Does aggressively leaning on the ground help?

for a new panel it would likely be easier to get one custom cut and then use something like ring lights around the instruments.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Startup roughness that goes away on a Lycoming O-360 series engine can also be a sign of valve sticking. If the problem manifests itself primarily on the first flight of the day, you might be experiencing “morning sickness” about which much has been written. Lycoming has service bulletins related to this issue. This is also a very interesting article:

Ask your A&P about this possibility as well. In addition, depending on who did the engine overhaul, with only 200 hours, you may still have warranty coverage.

Regards,

Mike

• Good point Mike - I am more familiar with continental engines

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Having recently replaced two jugs, I can confirm the morning sickness stuck valve issue. Mine is a TIO-540. It manifested very quickly. Do not ignore it.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Mike;

Excellent article, there's some great advice in it.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area