Hello from Upstate NY-Finger Lakes Region

I recently joined the group. I fly a 1971 Piper Cherokee PA28-180 out of KSDC ( Williamson-Sodus airport, near Rochester, NY) with a recent avionics upgrade (full panel, autopilot, dual G5). My husband Steve usually tags along on my excursions. I have enjoyed many ventures around the northeast and just finish my IFR rating. I am looking for new places to fly if you have suggestions. I enjoy history, especially aviation and maritime museums. If you have any good suggestions along the New England coast or Great Lakes Region, I would love to hear them. Of course, I always fly for fantastic FOOD!

Paula

Comments

• edited April 2022

Paula, that is a sharp looking Cherokee 180. When was it painted? Which autopilot did you pick?

The Cherokee 180 is a great plane - I got my IFR rating in one. Fast enough for cross countries, reasonable flue burn, rugged systems, sharp looking and enough useful load for at least two + luggage.

Congrats on your IFR rating! When I got my IFR in my Cherokee 180 I had a single non-flip flop Nav, no HSI, No GPS, and ADF. The one thing I installed was a DME. My instructor made fun of me and told me why put that in - will only tell you distance.... but this is exactly what I wanted and could afford + opened up some approaches that required DME. Also avoided a lot of dial turning on the non-flip flop radio for cross radials. I have never worked harder keeping track of what's now and what's next!

I am on the west coast. If you and Steve are ever out to the Portland area would be happy to take you both up flying.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Welcome and great looking 180... Two places you might consider is Dayton OH, great museum and Charleston SC, we took 4+ hours exploring the USS Yorktown and only got 30% of it explored. Great trips...

• Paula;

First, welcome to the group! You have a beautiful airplane.

Second, here are my recommendations:

First Flight Airport (FFA) - Kitty Hawk, NC. Do the full tour. If you enjoy history and aviation, you'll love everything about this place. Kitty Hawk is hallowed ground for pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

Agree with roevadas, Dayton, OH is loaded with aviation history. Tour the Wright bros field, and whatever you do, do not miss the National Museum of the USAF. It's one of the best aviation museums in the country. Lots of rare and one-of-a-kind aircraft.

If you're in the Chicago area, I recommend the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Museum of Natural History. For fly-in food, I recommend Pilot Pete's restaurant, located at Schaumburg Airport (06C), 9 nm West of ORD, under class Bravo. Great food and an aviation atmosphere. Contact me when you get here and we can all have a beer together. The largest railway museum in the US is in Union, IL (about an hour from 06C by car) if you're interested. About 30 min West of 06C (by Cherokee), you'll find Rochelle airport (RPJ). The restaurant there is called the Flight Deck, and I've had many good meals there. Heavy skydive activity at Rochelle. Watch the jumpers while you eat.

Shawano, WI has a nice airport and the Lighthouse bar/grill is walking distance from the airport. Good burgers. Bring your food outside and eat on the deck. It's right on the water.

The Air Zoo Aerospace & Science Museum is a good stop. It's located at the S/W corner of the Kalamazoo Battle Creek Airport (AZO).

There are too many maritime museums in the Great Lakes Area to list here. A quick google search for "maritime museums in the great lakes area" brings up pages of hits. Many are close to GA airports. I'd plan your trip, then search that area for museums and/or restaurants.

Hope this list helps you.

Keep us updated, and post pics!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I have been to Dayton. The Air Force Museum is fantastic. It has been a long time since I was able to visit the Yorktown (maybe 18 years ago). Thank you for the suggestions.

Paula

• Thank you. The plane was last painted in 1991, and always hangared. I did my IFR without an Autopilot. Definitely, increases the workload, but I figured if I could maintain the tolerances without the Autopilot, I would be good to go down the road. Definitely challenging. I put the GFC 500 autopilot in the plane. I like it! The Cherokee 180 is a great platform as you said, great for local yet fast enough for cross countries with a reasonable fuel burn.

I have not been on the west coast yet. I have driven to Colorado Springs area several times, but have not been further west than that. My daughter went to the Academy and now flies C130J's.

Paula

• Grif,

Thank you for the suggestions. Kitty Hawk is on my bucket list and some of my friends have been to Kalamazoo. I would like to go. Went to Cleveland Burke Lakefront and checked out the Steamer and sub. They were pretty cool.

Paula