Editable POH

I'm about to finish a major avionics upgrade and it has me thinking I want to update my POH to incorporate and reflect all the new info and for ease of use (yes, I'll keep all my originals). I was wondering if anyone else has already done this and if anyone has an editable template?

Comments

• Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm not fully understanding what you are trying to do. Are you talking about inserting digital pages from a continuing airworthiness document such as an STCed installation of an appliance, or changing the actual factory supplied document to reflect some change you made? If it's the latter, I think that is not a very good idea, and probably illegal.

The POH/AFM must be "approved" by the manufacturer of the aircraft and by modifying the document, it is no longer their AFM/POH, but your version and not "airworthy." While it would really only become an issue if you were involved in an incident, it certainly gives the NTSB and FAA pause yu really chew into everything about you and the plane; where there is smoke, you will find fire.

I'd stick to the ol' tried and true "copy placed inside the POH, and log book entry completed as such" method. But YMMV me thinks.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-A/section-91.9

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Hello Liz and welcome to the group.

I am wondering if you meant to say "Check List" instead of "POH". It is my understanding that it is not illegal modify or rearrange the check list for your airplane to incorporate new steps for an avionics upgrade or to add a procedure that was not a part of the original check list provided when the aircraft was first produced. As an example I have inserted into the preflight (wing tips lights) portion of my checklist , "Rock Wing Tip Fore & Aft", to assess the wing spar on the Arrow that I fly. I added to the "Before Engine Start" portion , "EFB and Portable ADS-B---- ON AND SYNCED.

You did not mention above which model you fly but I have a PDF checklist for a PA-28R-201 that you could edit to fit your plane.

Sincerely yours, for a safer G.A.
    Bristowe Pitts

• I think I get what Liz means. Yea, it would be nice to ‘upgrade’ your POH to be more durable and include new info and ICA /Supplemental inserts. You can do that . You can’t call it THE POH for your aircraft and like the checklist we all modify, you cannot detract from the accepted information in the aircraft POH. And the aircraft POH has to contain the ICA and other information required when we apply STC or 337 data. But you can certainly produce a ‘generic’ version for reference and preserve the ancient ones that are the aircraft before they fall apart.