1966 Piper PA-28-235B N9112W

Hello everyone!

I'm Anthony. I am new to plane ownership, but I've been around aviation my whole life including working on the big ones at Boeing.

I'm slowly working on my PPL and my son is on a path to his ATP so this is a timebuilder for both of us.

Our plane is a 1966 Piper 235B. She has a standard steam pack with Apollo CNX80 NAV/COM WAAS (aka Garmin GNS480) and Garmin GTX 345 for ADSB. Its ready for IFR training and it has a few speed mods, shoulder belts, and newer interior. She cruises at about 140kts at 12-14gph.

We bought this plane over the winter to put in some flight training get us to our place in the mountains of Central Oregon. I have a few friends who are pilots who love to fly me around whenever I call. But, I'll use it to fly on nice days as I work towards my PPL with my instructor.

Turns out I had a questionable pre-purchase/mechanic and we had to send it out for a complete overhaul at only 950 hrs SMOH. Thankfully we were one of the last guys to get good cylinders before the shortage and the engine ships back to us next week. Total turn time 9 weeks. (Shout out to Western Skyways in CO!) A brand new Hartzel scimitar 3-blade is on the way (I won't argue with anyone. Yes, I bought it because its sexy). But, I get to wait 2 more months for the prop to arrive since there is an aluminum shortage...

I realize that this was the worst time to have major maintenance issues. COVID really did a number to every sector of aviation and manufacturing, from raw materials to mechanics. However, I am thankful for good people helping us along the way. And for my wifes patience and understanding as I spent $XX,XXX extra dollars on the plane she reluctantly let me buy.

We are certainly looking forward to cruising around the San Juan Islands and to our home in Central Oregon in a few weeks.

Anthony

Anthony Pellegrini

1966 Piper PA-28-235B Cherokee (N9112W)

KAWO - Arlington WA

Comments

• What a beautiful flying machine! All of your problems (expected and unexpected) will work out. We've all been there (me, many times!). If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello Anthony

Great airplane!

I’m flying 9021W. A 1966 235. My home base is KDLS. Love flying the San Juan Islands. Roach Harbor is my favorite.

You will really enjoy the Cherokee. They are haulers. We should connect sometime when you are in the central Oregon area.

Matthew

Matthew Garrett

1966 Cherokee 235 (N9021W)
    The Dalles, Oregon (KDLS)

• Roach Harbor San Juan Islands

Matthew Garrett

1966 Cherokee 235 (N9021W)
    The Dalles, Oregon (KDLS)

• Hey Matthew,

Our planes are nearly twins!

We bought the 235 for the power and hauling ability.

Our favorite quick trip is to pop into Friday harbor from our home airport (KAWO) for a bite to eat and head back home. Roach Harbor is a very interesting approach and landing to say the least!

We fly to Sunriver (S21) and the Dalles is definitely on the way. I'd love to meet up! Maybe get a 3rd to come with to take some pics of us airborne.

Anthony

Anthony Pellegrini

1966 Piper PA-28-235B Cherokee (N9112W)

KAWO - Arlington WA

• Beautiful airplane and welcome to the group!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I am based in KHIO (Hillsboro, OR) and favorite spots include Sunriver and Friday Harbor. When it stops raining we should do a mini fly in ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)