Not So Future Tech - Plasma Ignition System

Interesting article:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/06/pulsed-plasma-ignition-that-boosts-fuel-efficiency-has-passed-testing/

Given GA's track record with adopting current technologies in the certified platform, am curious as to how many decades it will take for adoption / retrofit in the piston engine.ย Looking forward to the experimental crowd's results should anybody jump on this.

Comments

• Well, let's see; it took 50 years to get electronic ignition and technology does accelerate as you move forward. Hmm, maybe we can do this in 30 years! Of course by then it will be moot. We'll all be flying with electric motors in 10 to 20 years, methinks. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott I am going to an electric plane conference next week so will let you know what I find out. From what I understand it would be highly unlikely we will be flying E-Planes anytime soon for normal flying

• I'm opting for a plane powered by cold-fusion ;) I saw it in a movie, it must be true, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Propane power - already 110 octane, way cheaper than avgas and you could adopt it to existing engines by changing the fuel regulator. Tanks are a bit of a problem unless you are open to "drop" tanks. ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Hmmm, an Arrow with drop tanks. There's a thought! I wonder how all of the farmers in Kansas would feel about us randomly dropping tanks in their corn fields. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I guess it would depend on what they get paid to recover them ๐Ÿ˜€

• It would be an interesting way to shed weight and fire risk for an off airport landing... These would likely be 4 feet long and 2+ feet in diameter. Would certainly lead to questions while traveling. Your first question would likely be - where am I going to get this filled???

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• And at 7.00/gallon, that's going to require a second mortgage on my house :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Propane is much less even today in bulk. Not many propane fills at the airport though...

One advantage - especially for those camping at OSH - would be a quick grill attachment so you could BBQ.

With the full power flow rate of propane and the need to expand it you could have a built in intercooler and/or air conditioning condensor...

Assuming a twin with 20 gal a side on take off + an additional 5 gallon for the lower heat output (25 gallons a side on take off) that is a 20lb BBQ cylinder every 5 min. Would need to be heated at that flow rate or delivered as liquid.

When 100LL sunsets I am counting on G100UL...

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)