FAA WINGS Program

Yesterday I completed the FAA's Basic and Advanced phases of WINGS . Each phase requires 3 Knowledge activities (i.e.webinars, on-line courses, classes, etc) and 3 Flight activities with a flight instructor.

The flight activities are based on the licenses and ratings you hold. So, if you hold an Instrument rating, one of your flight activities will be an IPC.

I want to give a "shout out" to this very good program that the FAA offers to us.

The key benefits of the WINGS program are that it is structured to make you a safer, more knowledgable and proficient pilot.

The side benefits of completing a phase of WINGS is it qualifies as a flight review, so my 24 month "clock" starts running again. Since one of my flight activities was an IPC, I can check that box also. And finally, when I called my insurance company yesterday to report my WINGS progress, I was rewarded with a 10% discount on my hull premium. They are sending me a check that reflects the amount of the discount.๐Ÿ˜Š

The highest level in WINGS is the Master WINGS phase. I plan to work on that phase in the near future.

I highly recommend this fun and educational program.

Thanks, Bruce
1970 PA28R-200
Manakin Sabot, VA

Comments

• Thanks Bruce! Your post is much appreciated. I'm hoping it inspires others to do the same thing.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• 10% cut in insurance costs would be nice.

Then again, with a nameless "elected" governmental leader in power whom appears intent on destabilizing global markets merely for vanity, am personally not going to count on a notable net reduction in insurance.ย Last year I was told to expect at least 7% worth of insurance rate reductions, I met the milestones to qualify for those cuts, and only received just over 2% reduction thanks to one person's interesting perspective of reality. So it does go to prove a claim that one person can make a difference ๐Ÿ˜’

At this point, insurance is a cost of doing business and it is going to remain costly for as long as this nameless leader wants to light fires.

Going the Wings path is a means to help ensure I am able to fly another day ๐Ÿ˜Š

• i donโ€™t think Vladimir Putin has that big an impact on airplane insurance rates - but maybe I am wrong.

• I'm a huge believer in the FAA WINGS program. I have Basic, Advanced and Master levels. Some of the things I like about WINGS.

1. It provides a nice "progressive" process to keep skills proficient and sharp.
    2. It "mixes" up things so you are always learning / doing something different. Much nicer than "ok its BFR time and lets go drill holes in the sky"
    3. The seminars allow me to meet new / different people and build relationships with other aviators.
    4. While my current insurance provider doesn't have any specific WINGS discounts, it does demonstrate that I am a lower risk since I actively participate.
    5. When flying non-pilots (friends of my kids, EAA Young Eagles, etc) being able to state that I have various levels of WINGS and what the program is, helps them have more confidence in me as an Aviator.

When I get my CFI later this year, I plan to offer discounts on my rates for those that are: a) active in WINGS, b) want / need WINGS training....

If you don't have a WINGS level, I challenge you to get one within the next 90 days. Your BFR will then be pushed out 24 months and you will have sharpened your skills!!

As Aviators we need to always be learning and refining our skills. Ever Learning!

What I learned getting my Seaplane rating has helped me as a land rated pilot as well.

PS: Seaplane rating was the most fun I've had in years!!!! Best 3 to 4 days of training.

• Digitalpilotnm,

Congratulations on your achievements in the Wings program. Your assessment of the benefits of Wings training are spot on,

I plan to begin the Master phase after Labor Day. Hopefully, that quest will be successful.

Enjoy your summer of flying. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks, Bruce
    1970 PA28R-200
    Manakin Sabot, VA