New First Time Plane Owner

The plane i was starting to train in had some mechanical woes and was sold. At my wife's urging, i went and found a 76 Cherokee to continue training. I am lost in the fog of new plane owner but learning every day. My plane seems pretty well equipped and flies well for me. ( like i would know the difference, lol). I only have 15 hours ish so this is all still a blur. I wanted to introduce myself and say that i love the forum for finding info. If you find yourself in Dayton, OH, we can get a beverage and i can pick your brains about plane ownership,

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. Nice looking airplane, great choice! You've come to the well of aeronautical and Cherokee information. Bring all of your questions here and we will get them answered quickly. Also, look at this webinar: https://piperowner.org/webinar-what-every-arrow-owner-needs-to-know-by-scott-sherer/

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,

Just watched the webinar and found it very useful. Yes, as a new owner, there is a bit of fog but hearing you list the items that i needed to do brings a peace of mind, so thank you.

• You're welcome. I'm working on version 2 of that webinar and that will be available in about a month. Stay tuned!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello and welcome to the forum. Pa28's are great little planes and a joy to fly. Hope you have many great hours in your new bird! This forum has been very helpful to me and I am sure you will find Scott and the others very helpful!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• Welcome to the Piper Cherokee world. Enjoy the journey.

• Jbrowne:

Welcome to the group! Beautiful plane!

Ask any questions you want here. There is a wealth of information from folks who have already experienced everything you're going through, and from those who are outright experts in their field.

We're happy to help.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Congratulations,

Good looking Cherokee.

My wife and owned a 67 Cherokee for 16 years. The Cherokee is a great airplane, especially for someone new to ownership. It is stable, forgiving and has reasonable utility; speed, range and useful load. Just watch your loading with full fuel. Plus it has a reasonable cost of ownership; fuel, insurance and maintenance.

Your’s has a nice panel. Dual E5’s and Avidyne GPS, plus an Engine Monitor. Get a good CFI that is very familiar with all of them. Then learn how to use and be comfortable with all of them and it will get you through the Instrument Rating and allow for some nice cross-country trips.

Enjoy!

Mike Windom

Mike Windom

2022 FAASTeam Representative of the Year - Tampa District

WingsPro

Wright Brothers Master Pilot

• edited July 2022

Well, from your photo, I see you have already made one of three pilgrimages every pilot should consider! Finish up in that great looking Cherokee and add the other two to your list!

Sportys (Check)

Kitty Hawk ( )

Airventure ( )

Regards,

Mike

• Thanks for the welcome folks!!! I have a lot to learn but i love to learn and look forward to all of it!! I have a side question: anyone here use a Stratus 3i with the Stratus transponder? My reading tells me it can mount behind the panel, comes on with the avionics master and will feed weather and traffic to my avidyne. Use the stratus as as the main wifi and log the avidyne into that wifi as well as my ipad with IFD100 or foreflight. If i am on the wrong track, someone tell me cuz i dont know any better, lol.'

• Sorry, I just saw this, I live under an Arrow, a 1973 PA 28R-200. I live in Pataskala and my Arrow lives in KLHQ.

My Arrow entered the 21st century with lots of new electronics and while sitting getting new toys to expedite my getting lost faster, my mags went bad. I may get my plane back before fall, it is winter now but I think nuclear winter, global warming and the complex migratory patterns of the right whale and harp. Seal may lead to increased supply chain difficulties, resulting in a substantial delay in getting the flux capacitor needed for the IO 360 left mag.

You’re 180 is clean and the paint is immaculate. Very nice plane.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.