Abandoned for 16 years...

Here's my 'barn find'. Doctor who owned it had upgraded to a Lance, so this became the red-headed stepchild I guess.

For the price I paid, I have plenty of room for upgrades and restoration.

It did start after an oil change, new plugs, and preliminary bore-scope

Comments

• Partially covered is good. I would inspect the tail cone, etc for bird or rodent nests. What does your A&P think? Complete logs?

I see there is some rust on the exposed cylinder base? I have been restoring a partially sunk marine diesel and have been having amazing luck with Evaporust. It removes the rust without further damaging the surface like sandblasting, etc. They also make a gel that works similar but makes more of a mess.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I have complete logs, removed tail cone and inspected for any excess debris. Wasn't much more than cobwebs, but did find the cone to be deteriorated and cracked enough to replace with a used Knots2U cone set. Have sprayed the Evaporust on the cylinders, and they look much better now.

Have an A&P coming Saturday to give me a 'pre-annual' list of discrepancies to start work on. Will need ADSB of course, since it was parked long before that was mandated.

After that comes my 'wishlist'. ie GPS, digital attitude indicator and DG, getting rid of vacuum pump. Interior will come after it's airworthy again.

• edited August 2022

J.eary - I ran the N number and saw that the plane was owned by a doctor that was north of KC - you in The KC area or nearby? I live in south kc and we keep our plane downtown

• I sent in the registration paperwork in April. They are currently processing applications from January-February.

I'm in Wood Heights, just east of the Excelsior Springs Airport (3EX), which is where it is currently stored. I am on waiting list for enclosed hangar at Mosby (GPH).

I fly/rent out of MKC, for the time being anyway.

Glad to hear from someone that's from around here. Took some searching to find an A&P willing to look at it where it sits.

• edited August 2022

Now that is funny - I grew up in excelsior springs - my buddy that I own the plane w lives between es and Missouri city out past crescent lake

used to watch planes land at the airport out there and kept waiting for one to end up in the #10 green or #11 tee box.

i hope you can get a hangar at mosby - I heard it is a long wait list

• They told me in April it’s around 9 months. That means early next year at the soonest. I’d get space in Excelsior, but the city is trying to run everyone off and close it down. Turned the bigger hangar into storage for the golf course and other city stuff. After evicting the tenants, and tearing off the hangar door

• However, there is a fly-in pancake breakfast at 3EX Saturday morning. BBQ on the River is Friday-Saturday

• Hmm, if they are receiving any gov't funds like TIF money, then damaging or shutting down the airport is illegal.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited August 2022

I have mentioned that to some people I've run into...wondering if I should contact AOPA about it. Not that it is a busy place, but it used to be, and could be again. If it were to be modernized and just maintained. I am currently the only certified aircraft tenant in the outside shade hangars. The other spaces are either empty, or leased as RV storage.

They have received grants, and nothing was ever done to the airport. IMO, the people who were going to renovate the airport ran off with it...because they are nowhere to be found. Shut down another business they owned and got outta Dodge.

The grants would have to be re-paid, on a pro-rated basis, from what I understand. That being said, I believe they are waiting for that number to decrease before actually closing the doors.

These are just my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.

I realize this part of the forum is not the place to discuss it, maybe I should move it to another...

• J.eary;

It's relevant to aviation and to your airport, so I have no problem with you posting or responding to it here. If you wish to start a different thread, that's ok too.

People who steal our airport TIF tax dollars and then run and hide are enemies of aviation. They are common theives who need to be tracked down and held responsible.

Yes, contact AOPA. They may/may not be able to help track down the theives, but they should be able to help you fight to keep the airport open.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Yeah - I had heard that they were storing stuff for the golf course out there -

That is too bad - I think we actually talked about seeing if there was hangar space there since mosby is full and downtown is pretty expensive. We literally got the last one available at the time we rented. Since my buddy lives up there mosby would have been a good choice - should follow up and put our name on the list.

how long you been in wood heights? We moved away after I graduated in the 1980s - lot more good things happening in excelsior springs these days - the bbq event is a good turnout from what I hear

• We moved here from Vegas in 2005, so roughly 17 years. Moved here thinking I was going to retire...

• very cool, will be in touch, we've run series before with restorations of this caliber.

congrats and thank you for sharing!

Digital Product Manager
    Piper Owner Society

• AWESOME, find. Enjoy the refurb.