N2471U, '79 Archer II

Hello,

I've been lurking these forums for awhile and jumped aboard in the past month.

I'm in Minneapolis, MN (KMIC). Had the plane since 2017 and cautiously decided what upgrades to do. When the FAA took away the last VOR-A approach at my home base, that was the last straw. Here is the before and after panel shot and an exterior shot after I passed my CPL in this plane (did CPL with the old panel not that it really matters for that ticket). Oh, and I used @garserio's panel as inspiration/validation of what I wanted, so thanks for that!

Jeremy Olexa, N2471U 1979 PA28-181 Archer II. Minneapolis, MN (KMIC)

Comments

• Great looking bird and panel...welcome to the forum; it has a lot of experience and wisdom, I've learned a lot..

• You've done well! And welcome to the forum. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Welcome!

Nice plane!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Welcome Jeremy, nice plane and great panel!

Just curious, how were able to take your CPL check ride with the old panel? I thought aircraft needed to be complex or TAA. Your new panel definitely makes it TAA now, but you mentioned you took checkride before the upgrade. Not challenging you, but rather my understanding of what is needed for the checkride. CPL is my next goal…

Greg Arserio | PP-ASEL-Instrument | N8390C 1976 Archer II | Rochester, NY (Based at KSDC)

• edited September 2022

Thanks all for the welcome.

Hey @garserio , I did the TAA required training in another bird (10 hours). There is no requirement to use complex/TAA for the checkride. The reg is 61.129, one sub bullet is 20 hours of training - that includes 10 hours in a complex/TAA and other bullet points. (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.129) Hope that helps!

Jeremy Olexa, N2471U 1979 PA28-181 Archer II. Minneapolis, MN (KMIC)

• Ah, that’s the distinction… you only need logged time in complex/TAA. I have both already. Thanks!

Greg Arserio | PP-ASEL-Instrument | N8390C 1976 Archer II | Rochester, NY (Based at KSDC)