Throttle knob loose - wont tighten

This sounds simple but anyone know how the throttle knob attaches and tightens on to the actual lever?

I have a 1981 PA32R-301 - The throttle knob is a bit loose - when I try to tighten the screw head that is recessed in the right side of the knob - it just turns and does not tighten. The left side has a TOGA button in it and I think that may have something to do with it as there is no visible nut on that side - I unscrewed the toga button and can move it out only a bit as the wires are not that long - but I don't see a nut in there. It seems there may be a nut insde the handle and perhaps that nut is just rotating and I cant get a tool on it. Is there an exploded view of how that simple looking part is put together?

Maybe the nut is recessed in the plastic and its just rotating....

The knob is not terribly loose and I know it wont come off , its just annoying.

Thanks

Comments

• No ideas from the brain trust I see...

• It could be a nut spinning in the handle or the threads are stripped in a tapped part of the lever. I would suggest removing the mixture or prop lever knob to see how it is constructed.

You might be able to get more slack out of the TOGA button area if you trace the wires back and inch them up or ?

A crazy idea for you... clean the head with IPA, let it dry and then superglue a clean bit to it. Should allow you to turn and apply force to retract it.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Eric...what is IPA?

I'm certain it's not what I'm thinking of (New England or West Coast)

Lon Stratton
    n7xa.com

• edited March 16

Am betting IPA in this case is Isopropyl Alcohol. Although, depending on the frustration level, Indian Pale Ale might work as well. 😊

• Ah, yes.....of course

Lon Stratton
    n7xa.com

• One bottle of IPA to get the grease off and one bottle of IPA for the mechanic - just don't mix them up. One is bitter and the other is flammable. :)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)