AmSafe airbag seatbelts

edited November 2022 in Aviation Alerts

This is kind of interesting. I know part of this to be true and part is heresay. So here is the true part. Two years ago I removed my front, back and baggage compartment belts and installed new ABI belts, blue, to match my new blue airtex interior. The ABI belts are excellent, no question about it. Shortly there after I installed the AmSafe Soars system of airbag seat belts in my front seat. Having airbag belts would be a definite safety improvement and I've had them for quite a while, now. I feel safer and so does my wife. However, they came in grey and not blue. So I put the grey lap airbag belts in but left my new, blue ABI shoulder harnesses in. Both ABI and AmSafe Soars use the same buckle so it doesn't matter. This is the part that I can't confirm yet. Last week, along comes a friend with a Turbo-Dakata. He got the AmSafe Soars and installed it with the new shoulder harnesses. He says that the buckle on the AmSafe shoulder harnesses are installed backwards and subsequently his shoulder harnesses aren't usable. He came over and checked my ABI and AmSafe shoulder harnesses and yes, they are backwards. In fact, on my new shoulder harnesses from AmSafe that I'm not using that I got two years ago, they are backwards, too. So, are any of you having this issue?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!