Piper AutoFlite

I have a 65 180C that has the Piper AutoFlite wing leveler. Does anyone have any information on it and how to tell it’s working? It doesn’t seem to be working. It also has the ability to track either VOR or LORAN but I don’t have LORAN installed anymore.

if it doesn’t work can it be fixed or just removed to give panel space?

Comments

• Here's what Bob Hart wrote about it in July, 2015:

AutoFlite

Based on Mitchell’s basic model, the Piper AutoFlite was a simple, remote-mounted wing leveler. It consisted of a remote-mounted rate gyro, a servo, and a panel-mounted switch. Turn it on, and the wings would (or should) remain level. An optional tracker was available which allowed the unit to track a VOR bearing. It worked, but reliability was an issue.

As more capable autopilots were developed using vacuum gyros, the all-electric AutoFlite was sometimes installed as a backup to the system in the event of a failure of the primary autopilot. The original AutoFlite is not a viable unit today, and it’s rare to find one installed—much less one that’s installed AND still functioning.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Sounds like you are a great candidate for a Trio or AeroCruz. Of course, the GFC500 is also an excellent choice.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Yeah looks like it

• If i am not mistaken, the rate information was off either the original turn and bank,, or the horizon had a tap off of it. If those have been swapped out, pretty much renders the leveler useless. For tracking, the was a take off on the early DG's. I never saw a remote mount, i guess they could have used them but normally saw the taps on the above listed units. Bummer when the gyros needed work as very few if anyone anymore will fix the older units used with the early wing levelers and trackers. If your is indeed inop, good idea to placard it appropriatly. carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N