Propeller TBO

There are a lot of discussions about the engine TBOs online, but what about the prop? We have a Hartzell HC-C2YK-1BF on our PA32-300, and the prop and governor were overhauled 6 years and 600 hours ago. According to Hartzell (see excerpts below), the TBO is 72 months (6 years) or 2000 hours, whichever occurs first. But since we operate in Part 91, a TBO is not mandatory. So any input, do we overhaul now, or delay a few years, which is our first inclination?

Thanks!

Here’s what Hartzell Service Letter HC-SL-61-61Y says:

"Page 14 of 36, D. Aluminum Hub Propellers on Reciprocating Engines - Compact Series

All other 2 Bladed propellers manufactured before April 1997 as defined in Note 4* - See Figure 9

Manufactured or overhauled before October 1991 - Note 1* 2000/60

Manufactured or overhauled during or after October 1991 - Note 1* 2000/72

All other 2 Bladed propellers manufactured after April 1997 as defined in Note 4* - See Figure 9 2400/72

NOTE 4: Two blade, aluminum hub propellers or two blade aluminum hubs on reciprocating engines manufactured after April 1997 use an improved hub "fillet radius" and will be identified with a suffix letter "B" in the serial number. Refer to Figure 9."

Comments

• IMHO, a lot depends on the prop condition and the environment it's kept in. If condition is good and the environment is hangared in a dry climate I'd keep going; leaking oil from the hub and kept outdoors in a humid environment, I'd IRAN it.

DJ

• If I understand it correctly, you are flying 100 hours a year. I’d fly it till 2000 hours and then start to consider the OH. If the plane was siting a long time, I’d consider pulling it.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.