New AD on Continental Engines dated February 23, 2023

New AD on Continental Engines dated February 23, 2023

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott,

Thanks for posting. Unless I am reading wrong, the AD does not apply to the Continental TSIO-360-F(series) on the Turbo Arrow III. Do you agree?

Ben

• I do, that's the first thing I checked for my plane!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited February 2023

Maybe that's a testament to how many (zero?) TSIO-360-FB engines TCM produced during that period? Anyone have better insight?

DJ

• Hi All,

I got that same AD email from the FAA the other day. In checking with my IA, he spoke with the local FSDO and found that….

• IF your Crankcase or Your Crankshaft SN is listed in the Continental Engine SB, as mentioned in the AD, then an inspection is required. Your Crankcase SN is probably written on the front page of your Engine Logbooks or is on a Data Plate mounted on the very top of the Engine. On the III I had to remove the Right Top piece of Cowling on each engine to see it. Now the Crankshaft SN is alittle harder to get to, mine is stamped on the Prop Flange on the front of the Crankcase.. So, if your numbers are NOT listed, you’re good to go. Have your A&P make a Compliance Check Logbook Book entry and continue to march!
    • This FBO that my IA is associated with maintains a new and fairly new Cirrus Fleet and those guys look like they are getting hit hard with their TSIO-550’s
    • Apparently this issue, a “quality escape”, as the FAA calls it, is a result of a workmanship error, not a design or structure problem.
    • The Inspection requires removal of 1 or more Cylinders (only #1 on the -360’s affected) and these Cirrus’s are looking at about 18 hours of Shop Time each.

Hope that helps and hope we all dodged a bullet…

Stay Safe, Fly Fun!

George

PA-34 Seneca III KLPR