Fun with Arrows, Archers and a Camera

A friend of mine asked if we could go fly formation with his friends from school. I think it is a great idea. Monday afternoon comes around we get in my Arrow and head for KUNI, the airport that serves Ohio University. The flight from home at KLHQ to KUNI is 20 minutes, they have shortened our home airport runway by 2400 feet so that cut off at least 1 min from the taxi and we were that much closer to OU, even before we left the ground.

So we arrive OU, my friend and pilot for the day sees his friends at their hangar. I felt the need to mark my territory, or I bet very few know this one “I need to go see a man about a horse”. That one go me in trouble one day. My wife was unsure why I needed our horse trailer to go see a man about a horse but that has nothing to do with winged money eaters, I got another hay burner that day.

So I return to my plane after worrying my wife that I may come back with another horse, only to see an Archer parked next to the Arrow. Not only was there an Archer but a guy with a MEGA CAMERA. We are going to fly formation and do aerial photography.

The following photographs are of my Arrow but I do not own the copy right but the owner asked that I post them here. The photos were taken over the Ohio River, southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. If you want to look up the flight on Flight Aware I am N15665, flight is on April 10 from KUNI-KLHQ. Fun tidbit of info, climbing out in my Arrow for us to keep up with them in the Archer we powered back so far the emergency gear dropped. I had my GoPro hanging on the tail and it videoed the whole thing.

I shall now attempt to attach photos.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

Comments

• Great pictures! If your friend licenses them to POS, we can put a wrap on the 2024 calendar, now.

BTW, is that the Gavin coal-fired power plant in the background? At first I thought it was Three-Mile Island, but there's no Hersey Park to go with it.

Bob

• I will let them know about the licensing.

• Very cool pics!! Thanks for posting them.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you. I was hopeful you would notice. This was my first formation ever. First aerial photography. We just flew straight, and as slowly as we could, and the Archer took pictures of us. We had the automatic gear extension drop once on us we were going to slow. I pinned the gear after that and did not have to deal with it dropping again.

My friend Doug CFII and I are going to the Cherokee’s to KOSH pregame at KTZR. We may fly the Arrow up there. We did Sun N Blister a few weeks ago need to do Oshkosh, then for the trifecta I guess Farnborough? That may be too much of a flight but I could then experience what a family member went through as a waist gunner on a B17E over Nazi Germany in 1943-45.