Removing baggage Door on PA28-180

With interior now done, I'd like to paint the inside of the baggage door to match. Seems like it would be easier to remove rather than plastic off everything to prevent overspray.

There are no screws so I'm thinking the pin on the long piano hinge must come out. Is that correct? Is it difficult to get out and back in? Appreciate any insight.

Comments

• I believe the baggage doors are the same across several models. I have a PA-28R-201T and removed the baggage door to replace the seal. The long piano hinge pin slides out (toward the front of the plane) with some encouragement. You do need to be careful not to scratch the paint. It was not difficult to remove or replace, just go slow.

Ben

• I painted mine in-place and just used some trash bags to mask the airframe and some masking tape to cover over the rubber seals and stuffed some newspapers into the holes that expose some fabric. It was not hard to do. I replaced the door strap with one from Ebay.

• Yea, it will come out with some coaxing. But he very, very careful not to scratch the hull paint. Put some strips of blue painters tape down along the egress route before to minimize the risk. It will come out though.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I was planning on painting over the fabric holes. Why did you not want to paint them the same color?

• I would be reluctant to paint the fabric with spray enamel because the paint could flake off and create a mess. If I wanted to paint the fabric I would use SEM paint. My fabric looked like new so I masked it.

• SEM may not work well on metal.

• Thanks for that advise. I will contact SEM support to find out. I did find another brand that matches extremely well to the SEM Santa Fe.

• FYI.....SEM product support says their paint will work well on plastic or previously primed or painted metal.