Aircraft Flight Manual Replacement

I seem to have misplaced my 1965 Cherokee 180C flight manual. Not sure why is isn't in the seat pocket as usual and mechanics have no recollection of it. Does anyone know how I go about getting a new one, etc. My avionics guy has the updated weight and balance page that he figured, so I have that, but none of the other equipment lists, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Nate

Comments

• Are you referring to the POH? If yes, then Piper will be your best bet.

The POH on board must be specific to (match) the aircraft's serial number. As far as I know, only Piper can issue a replacement that matches your serial number. Be prepared to pay about $300 give or take.

Been down this road before.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• That's what I thought. When I went to Piper, they directed me to a Veryon company and I created an account. It is a company that deals with all kinds of old aircraft records. For $200 or so I can get a POH that is for a range of serial numbers, mine included. It shows a list of original equipment. My equipment is no longer original. I do have an updated weight and balance, useful load, etc., that my avionics shop had on file from upgrades 2 years ago. (I kind of think they have my Flight Manual) Is that enough, or do I need to take it somewhere and have them list all the radios, pumps, etc?

• Aerofarm;

I'm going to just admit I don't remember, but I'd bet someone on this forum will chime in with the correct responses.

If nothing else, the answer is definitely in the FAA regs, so I would start by Googling the question. If you're stuck, or not computer savvy, your A&P or I/A should be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• The early POH handbooks were technically not FAA approved as later ones are. So, find a online vender that has one for for your model and s/n. As far as other items like eq list, Have a mech make up a new one with the equip you have at this point, or if you are a purist, piper can get the as delivered one, not really necessary at this point, Mark 12's way out of vouge. You seem to have a good W/b.

Note all, if you have NOT copied all information somewhere, now is a good reminder.

carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• Definitely a good reminder. Have already gotten al the other documents copied and all the docs from my Comanche copied. Thanks for the input on the replacement. Thats kind of where I'm headed.

• Let me just addd one more interesting and timely comment on this subject, with a link to a current article in Aircraft Maintenance Tech Magazine. While in GA circles we probably would not run into this, the artical was a good awareness for me. IF any one has a plane on a 135 or above 91ops levels, this may make sense to keep in mind on back up records. For most all of us, just haveing a copy can be a time and money saver.

Back Up an Aircraft’s Paper Records Electronically | Aviation Pros

If link does not work, it is in the current issue of the magazine.

carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• I recently ordered a flight manual for a 1964 Cherokee B (Pa28-160). I ordered it thru a piper dealer, the cost was $170.00. I was pleasantly surprised, the flight manual had an updated equipment list that that. added some equipment

that is still available.

• To chime in on the "copies of things". With todays modern tech,I'd make a copy (paper) of all critical records AND scan the documents into a searchable PDF format.

Store the PDF format on your iPad / Foreflight as well.

Put copies (paper and electronic) in a safe place (safe box at bank, etc)

This goes for your LOGBOOKS as well. Log books for Airframe, Engine, Prop, etc.

Also all of your pilot endorsements, last couple BFR's, IPC's, last year of flights with total times, medical, etc.

I had my flight bag stolen some 18+ years ago. That log book had all my endorsements and such. Now after every check ride (three certs in three years :) ). I copy everything and toss it on a CD ROM and Thumb Drive, plus paper that goes to the bank safe.

The neat thing with my airplane records in digital format is that I can mark pages for AD's and for entries that are typed I can search for them.

Overkill, maybe, but I can find any entry and back it up in less than 5 minutes!