Flying up toward Chicago area.

edited August 2023 in General Discussion

You guys helped me so much in my last issue of flying north. I have another. I watched an Oshkosh video and they were talking about a front coming with possible hail. The video had one aircraft wrapping his Mooney in bubble wrap to protect it from the hail and another putting full wing and fuselage cover to protect it. I hadn't really considered hail damage as being a terrible threat. But maybe I need to.

I might have an opportunity next spring to fly up to the Chicago area and leave the plane up there for the summer and totally explore that part of the country. My son just got based up there and we share the plane. Do I need to find an airport that I can rent a hangar? I have found a few airports with reasonable outside tie down fees. But here in Florida the wait list for hangars is very long. So do I need to get on a waitlist for a hangar now? Would I even get a space in the short time I am on a waitlist?

I would probably leave the plane there from spring to like October when hurricane season is over here in Florida. Not really sure if I would do that for a second year or not, depending on how this goes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Andy Sikora
1972 PA28R-200
X51
Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

Comments

• Andy;

I've lived in the Chicago area my entire life, and I'll be happy to help you out.

If you heard that the Midwest portion of the country receives extremes of weather, then you heard correctly. We can go from -20F in the winter to 100+ in the summer, and everything in between. If your plane will be here through the winter, I would recommend a Tannis heater (get the Tannis brand, not a generic), and a battery minder. You'll need both, and you'll thank me later. There's a reason I recommend the Tannis, and if you wish, I'll be happy to discuss.

To answer your question, yes, we do get severe storms with hail that can damage your plane. I had my plane on the ramp for many years, and was simply lucky that every time we had major storms/hail, (including a microburst at the airport that totaled numerous airplanes), my plane was either in a hangar for annual or repairs, or away on a trip. Wish I could claim my it was my preparedness, but it was just pure luck that my plane never was damaged. Six years ago my plane was painted, and it's been hangared ever since. The paint is still an 11.

If your airplane will be on the ramp:

1. A couple of the aircraft cover companies sell entire airplane covers including wing and stabilator covers. Bubble wrap beneath the covers is a great idea to avoid hail damage.
    2. Some airports (but not all), have ramp parking spots with electrical outlets nearby. Get a spot near an outlet so you can keep your engine heater and battery plugged in. Run an extension cord if you have to. Plug the plane in during the transitional months (usually beginning in Sept), and keep it plugged in 24x7 through the winter.

If you can get a hangar:

1. Unless the hangar is heated, you're still going to need the Tannis heater and battery minder.
    2. Yes, depending on which airport you are interested in, the waiting list can be long. I waited 4 years for mine, but every airport is different.

What area of Chgo or airport are you looking at?

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Griff-

So it will depend on where he ends up living. He is just in the process of getting there. He will be based at ORD and has been looking at apartments. But right now, the two places that seem interesting are Lansing, IL (IGQ). Has tie downs, stalls and T Hangers. All seem reasonably priced but do they have availability

Village of the Lake in the Hills 3CK was the other airport that seemed reasonable. ]

One side of the city or the other. But the choice will really depend on where he finds a place to live.

This is all very preliminary but if we have to clear a wait list. That might matter as to where he picks to live. Unless you have suggestions. Right now he is considering in the city, which would make this process even more complicated.

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Hi Andy,

Saw your post and when I read “Chicago”, it caught my eye…

I too was born and raised in the Chicago area, learned to fly at an airport that closed down in the 80’s, Elgin Airport. Some old guys on here may remember it, nice little airport, a Piper Dealer, right off the Fox River. I left for school and the Air Force, then the Airlines, never made it back. Still have family there, so I visit some, always will have a place in my heart for the Northwest Side…

So, maybe I’m not much help.

But I can echo Doc’s words on the Weather.

Winters are both Beautiful and Brutal.

Summers can be Hot, Stormy at times.

Spring and Fall were my favorites.

There are Airports up and down the Fox, just West of ORD. My favorites too…

Up North is Dacy, 0C0, near Harvard, grass strip, but smooth as a babies bottom. Dacy’s been there a hundred years!

A bit South is Lake in the Hills, 3CK, near Crystal Lake, close to were I lived. They have a new runway, nice airport.

Further South is DuPage, DPA, busy feeder airport like Executive to the Northeast.

A new airport a bit further South is Bult, C56. New airport with new hangers, nice.It is pretty far South, near Peotone VOR.

So, depending on where you wanna live you have quite a few good choices.

Im just outside Cleveland now, so I have no knowledge of the Hanger situation. But you do have some nice airports to pick from.

Good Hunting in your search, I know you’ll like the “Fox River Valley” and the further West you go from Chicago, the lower the costs you’ll find.

Stay Safe, Fly Fun!

George

N8434M PA-34 KLPR

• Andy;

Both of those are good airports, and I've been to both many times. Here's the good/bad/ugly.

Lansing (IGQ)

Pros - nice airport, good runways, good fuel prices, good restaurants on site and nearby.

Cons - depending on where he chooses to live, I-94 can back up horribly especially during summer weekends. Seems like that stretch of road (and especially going around the lake toward Michigan) has been under construction for the past 500+ years. During the winter, storms tend to come from the North, where they pick up moisture from Lake Michigan and dump it on the South and Southeast shores. It's called lake-effect snow, but it's real snow and can be significant. Not uncommon for them to get a foot or 2 more snow than the rest of us. Can make commuting to/from ORD tough.

Lake in the Hills (3CK)

Pros - also a nice airport with good runways, good restaurants nearby and good people. Depending on where he lives, not a bad commute to ORD. If he lives near the Metra line, he can take the train close to ORD, then change to public transportation and go direct to ORD.

Cons - if he chooses to live in the city, it's a pretty long drive, but during the winter, there won't be any lake effect snow at 3CK.

The ugly;

Some notes and a word of caution: living in the city of Chicago is expensive, and has become more dangerous. As of Jan 1, 2023, IL abolished the cash bail requirement for many crimes (some violent). The criminals walk in, get their court date, and are back on the street in minutes. Crime has come to neighborhoods that used to be safe, so one needs to be more careful. On the upside, it's still a great city, and has some of the best restaurants anywhere in the nation. There is public transportation to/from downtown and ORD that is reliable and can get him to ORD in only 35-45 min.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• You may want to consider KARR. There's a condo hangar association called SKY HAVEN located at the east side of the airport. My plane lived there for 15 years, then I sold the hangar. It essentially cost me nothing when you consider the profit made between the purchase and the selling price. When I left in 2017 there was a variety of hangars for sale. Yes, the buy-in is steep, but it's a great, secure facility at a very GA-friendly Class D airport.

VFRs,

• Griff, George and n36601 - great advice and you gave me a few more airports to investigate, which is one of the things I was looking for. Thanks for the advice on crime in Chicago. I have read the same thing and am worried about it.

I think my son is heading up that way in 2 weeks to begin looking for a place to live. I will share with him the advice here. That will be the first step.

If you think of anything else to add, feel free to add that. I need the help lol

But thanks for what you contributed already.

Andy

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Andy;

He may also want to check Waukegan (UGN), Chicago Executive (PWK), DuPage (DPA), Clow (1C5), Lewis University (LOT), Joliet (JOT), Bult Field (C56), or if he's willing to drive a little DeKalb (DKB). I'm at Schaumburg (06C), but I can already tell you it's a 4 year waiting list for a hangar there.

Check out a Chicago sectional chart, or browse over to skyvector.com and search the Chicago area to your heart's content. Lots of good airports in the Chicago and metro area.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Andy;

I sent you a private message including my phone number. Have your son contact me directly when he gets to town. I'll assist him any way I can.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Hi Andy,

Looks like you’re getting some great Intel from these guys!

Sounds like with your Son being “based” at ORD he’s with an Airline.

If he’s a “New Hire” Congratulations!

I recently retired from United after about 40 years.

Enjoyed most every minute! 😜

I was never actually based at ORD, but if he is infact with us, ORD is a great domicile! He can fly both Domestic and International and have his pick of any airplane in the Fleet.

If he’s with AA, I’m sure it’s the same!

I grew up on the Northwest Side, and a lot of our guys and gals live out that way.

Barrington is beautiful, as is up towards Crystal Lake.

Depending on traffic, the Tollway is a 30-60 minutes ride to ORD. Not bad if you do it once a week for a 3 Day Trip. Some of our guys live a bit further west, west of the Fox River. Prices do go down at bit out west.

Doc gave you a great list and I have little to add…

If he is with United, he will enjoy the flying out of ORD! The Chief Pilot Office has a history of being a strong pilot advocate and he’ll fly with some good folks!

I retired out of CLE on the 737, but ORD, EWR, IAH, DEN and LAX were all second homes!

It’s not MIA, but now you’re closer to OSH! 😜

Best of Luck in both your searches!

George

N8434M PA-34 KLPR