Piper manuals avail from 3rd party

edited August 2023 in General Discussion

See the Piper Bulletin they published this week. Their 3rd party vendor for all things Piper in manuals etc. has been changed.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

Comments

• edited August 2023

Can't tell from the wording in the letter; was this a change of vendor or just a name change for the existing vendor?

DJ

• According to this press release, it’s the same company. It’s just going through a rebranding and name change.

https://veryon.com/press-media/atp-is-now-veryon-unveiling-a-new-era-of-uptime-and-innovation#

• Uh. I just went through this. Looking for manuals for a Seneca III. Veryon wants $817 a year to have access to the manuals for a 40 year old airplane. This is ridiculous. You cant buy specific manuals you require... you buy all airframe or all airframe and engine for $3000 a year. Looking for options to stay current...

• I have fond memories from high school of purchasing a service manual at my local Chevy dealer for $25, and using it to rebuild the transmission in my Z-28.

But, some time in the late 1990s, a revolutionary business innovation was born. No, I'm not talking about the $29 fee if your credit card payment clears 14 days after the bill was allegedly postmarked. I'm talking about the realization that repair information is valuable, both as a tool to herd owners toward approved dealers, and also as a source of high-$ subscription revenue in those rare cases where it's available for sale. This is true even here in Massachusetts where we have a "right-to-repair," law. Because, as with most laws, effectiveness is only as good as enforcement. And seeing how no manufacturer has ever faced a meaningful penalty - like being prohibited from selling their cars in our state - they all simply ignore the law. Even more frustrating, we've removed the incentive for dealers to execute high-quality repairs, so now simple oil changes are multi-trip ordeals, as they reset the idiot light and install the crush washer, both things they "forgot," on your first visit.

There is one bright light I stumbled across. Businesses operating in other countries don't have the same philosophy about repair manuals we do here in the enlightened US. So a colleague of mine based in Germany bought me a repair manual for my car at his local dealer, since the restriction is solely the action of the manufacturer's US sales unit, and not representative of how the "mother ship" does business.

Of course there's no guarantee this situation applies in reverse. US manufacturers may prohibit their foreign distributors from making repair information available, since that's what they do at home. Maybe we can ask one of our European POS members to inquire with their local dealer about manual availability.

Bob