Heated Pitot for a 1980 pa-32-301T?

New member and a new owner of 1980 Saratoga Turbo. But we haven’t been able to pick her up because one of the squawks on prebuy was that pitot heat was not working. This version doesn’t have a removable heating element. Anyone have one of these on something they are parting out. It’s 6 months back ordered most places and piper saying a month.

thanks in advance!

Jason

Comments

• If it is required equipment I would get a VFR day ferry permit and bring it home!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Seriously? Like, um, really?

That would have basically zero impact on me not taking delivery. It’s tantamount to complaining the air pressure in the tires is wrong, so we won’t fly the plane.

If it truly is a chicken little moment for you, check eBay, Wentworth, AZ aircraft salavage and the many other scrap yards my friend. But wow. Just wow.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Unit74,

I think the plane might be trapped in an over zealous maint facility where they have advised him the plane is not airworthy without pitot heat. If you review 91.205 then technically it would need to be placarded. (see below) . I think this could easily be resolved with a zip tie on the breaker and and "inop" sticker on the panel switch with a log entry? I would also remind Aviationtherapy that if the shop removes the pitot for bench testing they may also insist on a pitot/static check.

I have bought most of my planes remote and two in Scottsdale. Getting them out of there is often half the battle and coordinating remote work with a shop is a nightmare. It could easily happen that aviationtherapy has a pre-buy done, closed the purchase and told the shop to address the squawks which likely seemed a very good idea until this part availability issue came up.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-C/section-91.205

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-C

§ 91.213 Inoperative instruments and equipment.

(d) Except for operations conducted in accordance with paragraph (a) or (c) of this section, a person may takeoff an aircraft in operations conducted under this part with inoperative instruments and equipment without an approved Minimum Equipment List provided—

(3) The inoperative instruments and equipment are—

(i) Removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with § 43.9 of this chapter; or

(ii) Deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and

(4) A determination is made by a pilot, who is certificated and appropriately rated under part 61 of this chapter, or by a person, who is certificated and appropriately rated to perform maintenance on the aircraft, that the inoperative instrument or equipment does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft.

Here are the parts, it could be either one depending on plane serial number

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Right. There is nothing stopping the plane from flying.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Empannin - has it exactly right. Post buy squawk repairs. And the model in question is 69041-08. I have done the dive in POH and FarAim and it "legally" can fly without it. It was optional in that 1980 Saratoga T and its certified with kinds of operations for IFR without any call out to require heated pitot.

We may very well fly inop but I just thought this welcoming community might have a lead on a part that I could get it repaired in time. If I can fix it , why wouldn't I exhaust all means within my power?

Thanks Empannin for the great information. Unit74 sometimes the right answer isn't can you its should you. This plane will be flying 14hrs from Phoenix to NJ the likelyhood of higher altitude or rougher weather is greater than a 1hr joy ride.

• Aviationtherapy, did you ever work out a solution with the shop for the heated pitot? I would approach the 14 hr cross country as 4 four hour trips. A little longer to make the trip but much more weather flexibility. This time of year it is good to be cautious. Odds are very high you would not need it but when you do you do. Reminds me of a SR22 I owned that had the non-FIKI TKS deice on the wings, etc. I asked the former owner how well it works in ice and he said it works great when you have fluid in the system and it sucks when it runs dry. ;)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I believe that all of these have removable elements but they are encased in some epoxy like material that is tough to deal with. I believe that McFarland sells the elements. There are two. Sometimes the wires to the pitot tubes break and you need to silver solder them back to the elements. Another option is to send them to Airhaven Aircraft Parts and have them refurbish them. As part of the refurbishment, Airhaven will replace both elements. I did this on my Warrior about 10 years ago and refurbishment was about $250 at the time.

• I also used Airhaven for overhaul on the heated pitot tube for my PA32-260. It was a number of years ago, but the unit came back like new and has worked like a charm since.