Shoulder harnesses

Hello, my name is Gus Petrakis and I own a 1970 Cherokee 140/160 and I am considering installing shoulder harnesses. I understand they need an stc. Does anyone have suggestions on brand or type. Also what should the install cost.

Comments

• Excellent decision as lap-belt only is not all that great for survive-ability.

My vote is to go with 4 point as it has better statistics than 3 point.

If budget allows, adding air bags is another level-up for survive-ability, although they do come with ongoing expense.

Do not know costs of installing shoulder harnesses, although do recall seeing labor time estimates in the various sales literature for 4 point and air bag.

• I have used ABI for 30+ years. Excellent product!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• An STC may not be required. AC 21-34 iirc may be on point

John Schreiber
    A&P, IA, CMEL
    978mhz.com

• I concur with the B.A.S. 4 point system which is what we installed in our Cherokee 180 to replace the lap belts for the front seats. They have a website where they give testimonials of users of their 4 point system that have survived a crash. Made me confident that their product was a good choice for a 4 point system. I think the lap and cross shoulder (3 point) system is less safe than the 4 point system.

A more expensive choice is AMSAFE's SOAR system which incorporates airbags into the belt.