KX-155 to KX-200

Just curious on a radio install. I have a KX-155 and the display is getting, not bad, but not how I like it.

I’m debating on just getting it rebuilt or just switching to a KX-200.

Now, it should be a slide in replacement for the 155. After shopping around, I’ve found rebuilt 155’s and they are around 5k and a new 200 is 5.2k.

Would it not make sense to just get a brand new radio if the price difference is 200 bucks or less? And since I’m not an A&P, how long does a radio swap take for just a direct slide in and sign off?

Also, has anyone had or recommend an avionics shop that rebuilds the 155 at a decent price?

Open to options at this point.

Appreciate ya’s.

Comments

• edited March 30

Cherokee1;

My personal choice would be to purchase the KX-200. The 155's are all long in the tooth. As you've already found out, the display is the most common point of failure.

I had my KX-155 serviced a few years ago, and the shop told me it's getting extremely difficult to find parts.

Your options:

Contact Bendix-King. I've seen others post that B-K might have an LED or OLED replacement display. If everything else in the radio/GS works well, you may save a lot of money. There are some companies in the wild that will replace the display with an OLED. Be very careful, as I could not find anything on their websites that state their replacement is FAA approved.

The KX-200 is much newer, and therefore more serviceable than the 155. For only $200 difference, it's a no-brainer. Since it's a direct slide in replacement, you might keep the 155 as a spare. Alternatively, you could sell or trade in your 155, and recover some of the purchase cost of the KX-200.

As far as swapping the radios out, since the KX-200 is a slide-in replacement, it should be no more than a 10-15 minute job.

[Edit]: Bob Hart is an avionics guru on this forum. Hopefully he'll chime in with his expertise.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Appreciate the info.

Thats what I was thinking too and I assume it should only be a 30 min job tops to switch out. 5k is in my budget for one but I don’t want to spend additional thousands for a install if that were the case.

And I was thinking about selling the 155 after to recoup some money spent.

• +1 on Griff’s reply.

• As an alternate, Sept 2023 my KX-155 died. I sent it to Gulf Coast Avionics (Lakeland, FL) where it was resuscitated. The bill was less than $400. You might want to give them a call to compare...I though about the KX-200 but it was available in Sept.

Roe

• Well…. Might have to work something out. I’m actually flying to KLAL this Saturday and be down the for week at Sun and Fun..