Aviation Health - Hearing

I titled this discussion to suggest that, since many of us are about the same age as the aircraft we fly, aviation health issues might be a viable topic. And while mental health issues seem to be the topic du jour over the last year, another health issue that more of us face in our 60s and beyond is hearing loss.

I've reached the point where hearing aids are unavoidable. Yes, on a day when communication reception is loud and clear and I've got the noise suppression activated (which I try not to use so I can hear the engine "speak" to me) things are OK. But as I'm reminded when I watch TV and must resort to captions even when they're speaking my language, it's time to take action.

So - my question is, do any of you fellow Piper Flyers use hearing aids? Do you use them when you fly, as well? What brands and models are you using and have you changed hearing aids to improve your ability to hear while flying? Any suggestions for what to look for or avoid would be enormously helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• For a medical you will likely have a restriction on your medical requiring amplified sound - which could be hearing aids or just your amplified headset. Basic Medical would also work.

My mom has had some challenges in her hearing and we have tried some custom options but what has worked very well for her is Apple AirPod Pro's paired with an iphone and with the transparency options turned on as well as a custom sound profile.

It is included with the phone software and AirPod. It also offers options to turn the phone into a remote mic which can be handy too.

I would try this first if you have an Apple phone. This could give you the edge you are missing in conversations.

Good of you to take action - it can be very isolating to start losing your hearing and generally people spend too many calories trying to "fill in the blanks" on conversations or avoid conversations altogether.

My hearing is age appropriate but when I look back I regret not protecting my ears better from loud sounds and wearing masks in dusty environments.

I would also recommend talking with an audiologist and getting a baseline. They would have authoritative guidance.

https://www.ncoa.org/adviser/hearing-aids/airpods-hearing-aids/

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Aerospace Med doc here, however everything below is informational only and you should consult with your own physician and AME for advice.

If you're starting to have concerns regarding your hearing, the first step is a visit to an audiologist to figure out exactly where you stand. They will be able to give you the best advice on what will work best for you, and many of them are familiar with environmental/occupational environments (such as aircraft), so will be able to give you a better sense of which devices and settings work best.

You can fly on Basic Med. If you need an FAA medical, you'll need to be able to pass the hearing test, but that should be easy enough with hearing aids. Shouldn't be any barrier to certification.

You may want to consider looking in the Lightspeed Delta Zulu headsets. The app actually conducts a hearing test as part of the set-up process for the headset, and may provide a good way for you to get a boost the frequencies you're struggling with while still providing solid active noise reduction. Worth borrowing someone's headset and trying it out, perhaps.

My military guys frequently fly with custom ear protection (CEPs). It's a molded ear-piece that inserts into the ear and provides significantly improved intelligibility for comms and superior hearing protection. Better than wearing a helmet and foamies while riding around with the radios at full volume! You can get CEPs from various companies, and they usually have a variety of options for connectors.

Don't feel bad about subtitles when watching TV. The sound mixing is so bad on most modern TV shows that even the young kids are using subtitles! Between that and the overly dark scenes in everything, it makes me wonder what the directors are trying to hide!

Best,

Rich

• I'm sorry, but did y'all say something?

• I've has good experience with Costco (Phonak) behind the ear aids and a DC over the ear headset on top. My phone already Bluetooths to the aids and the headset volume and balance is as normal. Obviously with the aids an in-the-ear headset won't work and an on-the-ear headset misses the microphone location on the aids.

DJ

• If I may ask, how long have you had your hearing aids? Did it take long to adjust to wearing the over-the-ear headset?

So you left the hearing aids adjusted for normal hearing and the headset controls did the rest? That sounds encouraging. I use a Bose ANR over-the-ear headset so at least I don't have to invest in that part of the solution.

Thanks for your feedback.

• I've been wearing them while piloting for about 5 years. I've had David Clark headsets since my student pilot days many years ago.

Yes, I have the hearing aids to flatten my hearing loss and the headsets are controlled as normal.

I have an older DC ANR headset, but actually prefer the non-ANR stereo 10-30s. The ANR does not interfere with the hearing aids, but it seems to have some low frequency beat whether I'm wearing the hearing aids or not. I never saw a huge benefit in the Bose for the price and, though I really can't recall now, maybe they were too tight a fit with my old aids. The ear cup on the DC headset is a good, roomy fit for me.

DJ