Picking Up From Paint

I'm picking my Arrow up from the paint shop next week. Looking for those with experience picking up an airplane from paint on what to look for. What are my landmines (outside of overspray and actual paint work)? Obviously, my pre-flight is going to be extensive but I want to be prepared. This is new territory for me.

Thanks,

Comments

• How long since it has last flown?

• I would inspect all control surfaces for free motion and correct motion. Make sure they did not overspray the ball ends too.
    • Get their advice on lubrication. Often it is stripped for painting.
    • Did they remove old paint via chemical or ? I would remove the small panels covering the underside wing root interface for debris, etc.
    • Inspect all static ports and drain lines
    • Make sure no antennas painted over
    • Make sure you have and understand instructions on initial paint care
    • Treat it like an annual and don't plan on IFR/IMC, long x-c tight travel windows
    • Your IFR NAV/COM database may be out of date and need refreshed
    • Get the paint codes and write them down at least a dozen places.
    • See if you can get bottles of touch up paint from the same batch used
    • Take a million pictures!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• PICTURES, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!

• edited May 24

Scottglenn4;

Eric's list is excellent.

The only additions I have are to check electrical systems such as lights and strobes, as those are usually removed prior to paint.

The second is check that all your radios and nav systems work properly. When my plane was painted, some of the antennas were removed. They reinstalled the antennas correctly, but I found a couple cables that were nor properly reconnected. It was an easy fix, but something else to add to the checklist.

[edit] yes, post pics!!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Eric - I dropped it off on April 1st. Hasn't flown since.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the advise. I'll share photos next week!

• Jim,

Great point on the antennas and electrical systems. Scott, I would also want to pop access panels if possible to make sure the antenna is connected as transmitting can be damaging for transponders, DME, Radio out, etc if the antenna load is not connected. Also make sure they are secure and weather sealed (especially top ones)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited May 30

The fact that you got it back in about 8 weeks is a plus, if not a miracle! Congratulations!

• Okay, take it easy on my guys.... I know the paint scheme is a Bonanza style but truthfully, I don't care. I picked it because I like it. Since you requested, below are a few photos.

I appreciate all the feedback you provided above. I took and applied many (if not all) of your suggestions. Lastly, if there happens to be a former owner of 28LE on here, I just want to say thank you for taking good care of the airplane while you owned it. The previous paint was from 1976 and the airplane was in as good of shape as you could have expected given its age. Should be good to go for the next 48 years 😉.

• Looks amazing!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Beautiful!

Bonanza's aspire to look that good! 😁

No disrespect to Bonanzas. I like them, especially the v-tails.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Beautiful!

• edited June 2

Check all your static wicks for metal to metal contact. Check the grounding straps for the same. I believe there are six grounding straps for the Arrow. Mine were painted over so I replaced them.

John O’Leary
    Turbo Arrow IV (KRKP)
    CFI CFII CFIMEI (Gold Seal), ATP(MEL)
    Wright Bros. Master Pilot

• Perfect timing on this question. I should be getting my plane back any Day now! It’s been in since April 15th!

• I had my Navajo painted last year and also did the interior fully, new windows also, put in a new heater, a STC manifold based one not the janitrol.

I carried out a maintenance acceptance checkflight or functional flight check. You maint. man. may have a checklist. FAA has the Approval for Return to Service process.

No-one has mentioned a re-weigh or checking the paperwork for proper signoff. I am sure a re-weigh is mandatory. All that stuff should have proper sign-off. I needed a second check for some stuff because the regs required an independent confirm incl formal signoff.

Check the rigging including undercarriage. Oleos, tire pressure, all other fluids ie brake, hydraulic. Check the control surfaces actually move the right way with both yokes. Fatalities have occured due to crossed cables. Flaps up and down, cowl flaps, all fuel caps inspected for fit. No masking tape or things blocked, all lights clear and functioning. Clean windows. No hangar rash? Rudder pedals and brakes free and clear.

Check inside everything, take off inspection ports. No tools? No bird nests? If there is any issue return to the painter company to fix, do not fly out.

Conduct of flight should be planned and briefed even if just to yourself. Instruments ok? all radios and NAV gear? Does it have alt air??

Abort the T/O roll, come back and give your self a moment and then commit to flight on the next roll. Stay in local area to easily come back to the airport if trouble.

Land, go and fill up to the top(fuel card current, oil not expired?). Go over the aircraft again. Anything rattle loose?

Enjoy!

• John,

Adding to your good feedback. On an intentional abort you don't need to get near rotation speed. Full power and airspeed alive is more than enough. Let it roll out vs heavy braking too.

If you have a video camera or even your phone if you can set it up to record the panel you can then review it to make sure everything looks good.

One other thing that comes up post paint is did they paint or paint over the fasteners? If they have painted them over then you should invest in a paint cutter prior to the next annual to avoid chipping the paint during removal. I would recommend avoiding removing fasteners and panels right after paint as the paint might not yet be fully cured.

Good point on re-weighing. Not only the whole plane but also control surface weight/balance. The logs should also describe the new paint colors/codes and ideally batch dates as well as how the old paint was removed.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)