Interested in the Mojave

Good evening fellow aviators! My airplane partner and I are curious about learning more information on the Mojave. Are there any current or former owners or operators that could give us a little more insight on what it was like to operate it? Specifically, if there were any issues in finding a really good maintenance facility to work on them, parts availability, and overall reliability. We are based in south Florida. Both of us are over 18,000 hour airline captains flying a Beechcraft Baron model 58. Both of our missions are just over 1000 nautical miles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited May 31

I flew a Cessna 421C for awhile as a private owner - another cabin class piston twin. I think the Mojave has a relatively low useful load but the lycomings are more reliable than the GTSIO-520's.

I am not aware of any Mojave owners that actively post - you might also check the listings for sale and talk to owners on controller, etc.

Go Mifune (2003 post) as some interesting comments in the link below (towards the end)

If you need 1000+ nm I don't think the Mojave would work unless you are lightly loaded. The max range is listed as 1190 and this is likely almost full of fuel and no passengers. That is a thin margin and might leave you with below IFR min reserves not to mention headwinds, re-routes for weather, etc.

https://www.aeroresourcesinc.com/uploads/198310-1983%20Piper%20PA-31P-350%20Mojave.pdf

The range goes up at reduced power and they are including 45 min reserves. However, they are also starting from full fuel and the fuel fuel payload as tested was only 421 lbs. Two pilots and light gear at best. If you doubled the payload to 850 lbs you would need to offload 71 gallons of fuel - about 30%. I would estimate your range would also be ~ 30% less so 835 nm.

The Malibu might be a good option. It can take 3 people 1400+ at long range cruise with reserves (according to this article anyways)

An older mid-time Mirage is ~ $450k or so. Not only will operating costs be lower but you will also likely have lower insurance rates, much better parts access, etc.

Edit:

Here is a performance chart from the Malibu POH. You would be cruising at 140 kts true in long range cruise to hit 1300+ nm range. 9 hrs... Normal cruise is about 1000 nm but 195 kts so 5 hrs. I would plan on stops! ;)

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• With 36K+ combined hours, we should be asking you for advice!!

Some comments you're probably already aware of: The vast majority of Navajo operators, Mohaves included, are charter businesses. As such, they have a chief pilot who routinely does his currency at SimCom, and a maintenance director who attended the Piper Twin Maintenance school. My experience with these outfits, such as Westerly up here in New England, is they are very willing to share their knowledge and experience, and if you own a Piper twin they are a great place to have your maintenance performed. That's how I found my current A&P, after a whole bunch of "learn the plane on the owner's dollar," mechanics. In your case they'll probably twist your arm(s) to fly, or provide dual, for them.

Do you have a particular exemplar in mind? I only ask because there are only 24-ish 31P-350s remaining in the FAA database. Their limited number implies they command a premium when they become available.

Could a 58P offer adequate service to your mission?

Bob

• I have been a Navajo private operator since 2019. Before that I looked at options in cabin class aircraft. I don't need pressurized because my mission doesn't, New Zealand's geography and weather systems don't need it, and the South West Pacific doesn't. CBs can get super high in the Pacific and it is easiest to go around. No really big mountain ranges except for the Southern Alps which run North-South but route options are parallel to the Alps along the whole South Island. Hence mission.

The MU-2 is the option I would look at if I wanted pressurized. Developed as a new design, it is very capable. Crashes early on mainly due to low time or "low" trained state of pilots who were mainly owners. Changes around training reduced accident rates to below comp ac. Very good forum available. Auto pilot replacement is a known challenge, maybe GFC600 cert in the future?? Options are long and short bodies. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is still supporting I think.