Portable O2 Systems

I am looking to get a portable oxygen system for my TA3. Are there any objective opinions of SkyOx vs Aerox specific products? I know they are one company now, but both product lines are still offered. How easy is the Boomula to use with a DC-10 Pro? The literature/video don't give much information on how easy it is to stick on/remove, or any information on how long the sticky portion may last, especially if it is removed after use.

I thought that there was an article in the magazine fairly recently about such systems, but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Comments

• No strong opinion on SkyOx versus Aerox.

Am also looking into the Boomula as pendant type cannula can get a bit annoying at times. Sometimes it is perfectly fine, and other times it wants to pinch my nostril.

Do not see any show-stopper with installing the Boomula on a DC headset. Only thing holding me back is that I am not sure how to feel about a notable protrusion when not using the Boomula and whether it is at risk of getting pulled off when handling and storing the headsets. Personally, I'd feel better with a lower profile attachment base for the headset, or more specifically, when removing the Boomula, the base is physically smaller than the current design.

If a source of 02 is not already part of the equation, might consider looking into how to fill the bottle. Airfields with ability to fill 02 are getting scarce, and some oxygen companies will scoot you out the door by thinking the bottle is for medical (which needs a prescription). So, if there is no current known good source for 02, might have to look into DIY as part of this project.

• I have been a SkyOx user for 40+ years. I still have and use my SkyOx system. However, SkyOx doesn't exist anymore! Aerox bought them. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 7

I've been flying with the Aerox system for 10+ years, and really like it. I bought it at OSH, and they gave me a good deal on it.

As I've aged, I've begun using it at lower altitudes. When I was young, I adhered to the 30 min, 12,500 ft rule. Then I started wearing it at anything above 10K, and now anytime I'm going above 8,000 feet, I grab the canula and turn the bottle on. Works great!

Bring some water with you. You'll get thirsty because the oxygen in the bottle is very dry.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Also consider an oxygen concentrator. E.g. Aithre https://aithreaviation.com/products/aithre-turbo-oxygen-maker-portable

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• edited June 8

I am thinking of buying an Inogen G5. I am not worried about the lithium battery and it offers redundancy from ship power + resale value. Used they are around $1200 often including car charger and extra batteries/filters.

If you want to buy new your Dr. can write you a prescription. Won't be covered by insurance but whatever.

If you are considering used I would absolutely recommend a local private sale only. There is an active after market for these and fraud risk is high. Don't buy online.

Another option that is nice is the OxyArm that mounts to the headset. This makes it easy to use. I was using tanks and the mountain high O2D2 pulse ox system but I am tired of tanks.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14865?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ijj5LbMhgMVOBWtBh3jPQFAEAQYASABEgJ0QvD_BwE

Now that we are on the subject, I have bought tanks to have delivered to planes I have purchased and have abandoned tanks in planes I have sold. If I had an Inogen I would have avoided all this hassle. Also, the O2 is not dry like from a tank.

For my tanks I have filled up with friends that have set up 4 O2 tanks for cascaded refill, etc - that is a spendy set up too once tank rental/purchase is taken into account as well as transport, etc.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)